Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the forum but have been reading posts on here for awhile. I was diagnosed a few years ago with IBS, and although I tend to alternate between IBS-D and IBS-C, I'm more consistently IBS-C. I am currently doing the Low FODMAP diet her my gastroenterologist and GP. I'm on a multivitamin, calcium + vitamin D and probiotics. I take buscopan PRN for abdominal cramping and OTC medications like peptobismol, gaviscon, etc. when experiencing abdominal discomfort or indigestion.

Since changing to low FODMAP in September 2016 I noticed a pretty quick difference in my IBS but over a few months it seems to have gotten worse again lately. I do have anxiety but I haven't really had any major stress lately (I know anxiety can happen without us really consciously knowing). I am in nursing school, so I do have some 'stressors' in my life but overall I am happy, healthy and active. I exercise 4-5 times a week doing yoga, weight lifting or cardio exercises.

ANYWAYS, I just had a question about one of my symptoms. I did read many of the posts on here but there didn't seem to be a solid 'answer' and I just want advice since I see my GP rather frequently and there's not much he can do for me in terms of IBS beyond what he has already done. I seem to be getting full body shakes a lot - it happens after I have a bowel movement and it doesn't have to be D necessarily, but it's either an urgent bowel movement or a softer bowel movement. It's like I'm cold but I'm not actually cold. My hands shake and I get shakes in my legs. Dry mouth is extreme (anxiety I suppose). I get dizzy and restless and when it's all over I get a really bad headache. Is this just anxiety that I'm experiencing? Like I said it's usually preceded by a bowel movement and probably the associated nausea I get (especially if I've been constipated for a bit). I also burp frequently, and yawn a lot when this is happening.

I just wanted to see if this can be ruled out as an anxiety - or if I should be checking for something else? Also does anyone have any solutions for dealing with this when NOT a home? It's been happening to me at school some days lately and one day it got so bad and I felt so nauseous and terrible I actually had to leave in the middle of the class. I try deep breathing and focusing on other things; chewing gum also helps me manage my anxiety so I'll often do that too if I'm able. Any advice on how you might deal with this is great and much appreciated! I should mention I also have abdominal pain or cramping at this time, or just a bloated/fullness feeling - often I take buscopan to help relieve it but it doesn't always do much during these strange 'flares'. My heart is racing (again, anxiety lol..) but I think just because I get scared when it happens and I'm around a bunch of people and may not always have a chance to run to the washroom, etc.

Please any advice - thank you!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
How much water do you drink? It sounds like you're getting dehydrated. Im an EMT and those are actually symptoms we are taught to ask in the field during our Pt evaluation. My primary CP told me that I should be drinking about half in ounces, of my body weight. I weigh 150 so I drink approx 75 Oz of water a day and stay perfectly hydrated. Hope this helps! (Of course, as you know from being in nursing school yourself, certain conditions can mimicking others. But I hope it is as simple as more water for you as it was for me.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much water do you drink? It sounds like you're getting dehydrated. Im an EMT and those are actually symptoms we are taught to ask in the field during our Pt evaluation. My primary CP told me that I should be drinking about half in ounces, of my body weight. I weigh 150 so I drink approx 75 Oz of water a day and stay perfectly hydrated. Hope this helps! (Of course, as you know from being in nursing school yourself, certain conditions can mimicking others. But I hope it is as simple as more water for you as it was for me.)
I actually drink a lot but I do get really thirsty while this is happening. Try and drink as much as I can (it was hard because in our simulation lab you can't have water so to drink it I would continuously have to leave). But I normally drink my share a day - may be I need more because I exercise more now though who knows. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had this happen to me a few times as well! I have been diagnosed with anxiety since these type of episodes and have been put on a daily, mild anti-anxiety medication that seems to be helping a bit and haven't had the shakes since starting it. It could be anxiety related, but you should check with your doctor. Hope you're able to get answers soon! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kmcdonald, I urge you to check out CBD terpenes for your anxiety in place of Rx meds. My PCP surprised me recently by saying she'd rather me do as much natural treatment as I can, in place of prescriptions, because the more chemical I put through my bowels, the worse off I'll be.
The CBD terpenes have other benefits besides just calming anxiety too. It has a huge impact on IBS itself, because it is a natural antispasmodic and anesthetic. If you decide to try it, go to healthyhempoil.com and research their products. That site was recommended to me by an alternative medicine practitioner, as a pure and reliable source for CBD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.