Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I am a 45-year-old female that was just told that I "probably" have IBS. Several symptoms have come & gone over the last 2 months, but I now have been sick for 8 days with no end in sight. The diahrrea isn't TOO unmanageable & I don't have very bad cramps, but my BIG problem is the NAUSEA! My stomach is so constantly upset (with no vomiting) that I can't even bear to LOOK at food, let alone EAT it! I have lost 20 pounds in the last few weeks & today woke up so weak that I'm not even sure I'll be able to go pick up my son after school today. I have a call in to my doctor to see if she wants to try something else on me, but haven't heard back yet.I have Promethazine for the nausea, but if I take it during the day, it usually knocks me out. She told me to cut the pills in half, but it doesn't seem to work then. Monday she gave me bytle (sp)(dicyclomine) & told me to just take 1 at bedtime because it can cause drowsiness too. I think it is just causing MORE nausea!It seems I am in a "catch-22" situation because she tells me I have to stop worrying so much because it makes it worse; but I'm so worried about this not getting better that I can't help it!I'm beginning to think it might be better if it just killed me now...

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Your life isn't over hon. And your Dr is right.. worry can make symptoms worse. I am a bit older than you and have been managing severe IBS for over 20 years now. So.. trust me when I say you can learn to manage this and your life is NOT over.I know I have heard that some anti-nausea meds can actually cause more nausea too! BUT Bentyl is an antispasmodic med.. not an anti-nausea med. If the Bentyl is making you feel worse.... stop taking it and report that to your Dr. I usually use the antispasmodics for pain of cramping of gut spasms... not nausea.Ginger capsules work very well at quelling nausea for many of us. I have seen them at regular grocery stores to walmart to drug stores. Give them a try. As for your other symptoms.. check out all of our forums and see what you might want to try to help yourself. Most people find a combination of treatment methods working in concert seems to help them best. All treatment methods are trial & error.. as we are all different & what helps one of us may not help another of us. But there are plenty of things to try!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please check out this forum , it has helped me tremendously http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fructose_mal...ption_australia It took me ten years to put it together, from stomach pain to ibs to fibro pain where I wanted to jump off a building , after years of keeping a food diary and suspecting the wrong food many times , not finding a common denominator to my reactions I finally suspected fructose , found the above forum and things started to fit , it looks like I am finally on the right track , hopes it works for you also, yes I was tested for celiac , it was negative however I still reacted to wheat , wheat is a fructan , find the forum, read up and hopefully it will help you and others .Micheline

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have IBS-C, not D, but in the beginning I had so much nausea that I couldn't eat either. I lived on milkshakes. I took nausea medication, Reglan (helped but I was afraid of the long-term side effects) and Xanex. The Xanex helped with the anxiety that was making everything worse. And ironically I ended up becoming lactose intolerant and couldn't have milkshakes anymore. Eventually I was put on a low dose of Klonopin which I've been taking for about 4 months and it helps. I still can't eat everything I would like too but I've found, with the help of a nutritionist, more things I can eat so that I can be healthier and gain weight. I too had lost alot of weight and got down to 97 on my 5'5" frame. It's hard to eat when it makes you feel sick!!I also have felt like giving up but for some reason I always end up coming back to the fight again. I'm hoping to live long enough to see them find a cure for this ####....no pun intended. I have days I do nothing but cry, days when I'm angry as he$$, and days of determination to find a way to deal with this. It's a daily battle to keep up the fight. Hang in there. Your answers will come only if you look for them. I kept waiting for them to drop in my lap and they didn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts