Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new to the group. Im a 23 year old female and have been suffering from ibs-d for about 2 years now. Was diagnosed in my 3rd year of college, the doc said it may have been brought on by chronic stress
On thing though, my live in boyfriend does not understand. He says that it is all in my head, that ibs is a made up disease...he sees me suffering everyday and gets upset when i have days that i cant leave the house. I just cannot get it through to him...that this is real, painful, and distressing. Any suggestions?????much luv and support ~

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi,I haven't got round to telling my boyfriend yet, but his mother thinks I am bullimic (sorry that isn't how you spell it). I won't eat in public and if anyone does see me eat, I spend ages in the loo afterwards, so she has jumped to conclusions and has told everyone I am anorexic and bullimic!People make their own minds up, and it takes a lot to persuade them otherwise. I have no advice to offer as I can't even pluck up the courage to talk to my boyfriend about it.Good luck.

· Registered
776 Posts
Welcome to you both. I think that you should print up and give your friends and family a copy of the brochure on this site. It explains a lot to those who don't understand IBS.I get really upset at those who think that IBS is "all in our heads". I have had IBS for 40 years and my ex-husband was not at all understanding and some of my other family members are the same. I am lucky now. My present husband is very understanding. He rubs my back and "tummy" when I hurt. He is an older man and we have been married 23 years. Having a caring spouse is very important. He also has several medical problems of his own and I am his caretaker.We at this board are always here for each other. When I am having a bad day, I always feel better after talking to my friends here at the board.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.