Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new gastroenterologist has changed me from a 25mg tablet of Amytriptaline per day, to the liquid form (generic) which I had never heard of before. I take 3-4 drops in water, 3 times a day and have noticed I now have formed stools for the first time in years. I still take calcium and Immodium as usual. But there is still not much difference in the "I need to go - NOW" problem. He sent me for blood and stool tests and they all came back negative, so I am down for an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the end of June - ugh! The prep in France now is to go on a very strict diet ('non-residue' it is called), which seems to consist of mainly eating rice and pasta and drinking just water for 5 days prior to the test, then to drink 2 small bottles of a prep liquid 12 hours apart to clean you out. I am so thankful I don't have to take the huge bottle of nasty liquid I had to drink in the past! Wish me luck! I am not too hopeful there will be any other diagnosis but IBS at the end of all this, but maybe he will be able to sort me out. At least they will check for everything whilst I am under the anaesthetic! Wish me luck?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Wish you luck! I'm sure you will do ok with the testing.And glad to hear the liquid generic form of Amytriptaline is improving things for you!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi, I saw your post and was curious about it. Currently, I am on an AD, Nortriptyline, which helps sometimes but not a great deal. I feel like one of the reasons it doesn't help as well as it could with my symptoms is that I take it all at once, and not over a period of time throughout the day. Does that make sense? I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow about possibly switching to a new AD. Do you know if the liquid version of Amytriptyline is easily available? If so I will ask my doctor about switching to that -- any information/replies would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the first time I have heard of or been prescribed the liquid form of Amitryptaline. I live in France, and don't know if it is available where you live, but it would be worth asking your doctor about it. I take the equivalent of less than the 20mgs of tablet form by taking the drops spread out 3 times a day. ie 3 drops morning and lunchtime, then 5 drops in the evening. Think that equates to about 15mgs, but am not sure exactly. I used to take the tablet in the morning (I was a bit 'out of it' for the first 2 or 3 weeks - very weird feeling) but then got used to the tablet and took them for years. But I am pretty sure that staggering the dose throughout the day makes a big difference (along with the usual calcium and Immodium daily). Good luck with your doctors appointment tomorrow - let me know how it goes, will you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have told you the manufacturer of the liquid form Amitryptaline is 'Roche' and the name on the bottle is LAROXYL. Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts