Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a long time since I posted but, I read at MSNBC Health that there is a new drug that is close to starting phase III testing which is the last step before FDA approval. I didn't see any recent post about it so I thought I would share what I know. It is called Naltrexone and has been around for a good while. It is normally used to treat drug and alcohol addicts helping their bodies to get through the withdrawls. And the best part is that it will work for both "C" and "D" type sufferers. Here is a section of the story...Naltrexone, which Pain Therapeutics is testing under the name PTI-901, takes a new approach to treating IBS. "The traditional view of IBS is that the flusher is broken - it is either flushing too quickly or not quickly enough, causing diarrhea or constipation," Barbier said. "We disagree with that point of view. We don't think the flusher is the problem. We think it is an imbalance of opioids in the gut. We provide the patient with an external source of opioid antagonists to restore bowel function."I was so excited when I ran accross this story. I now have a little bit of hope that maybe some day, going places won't be a nightmare for me. I fight everyday to remind myself that this is not all in my head, I don't have control. I want control, I want to be able to go to lunch with my co-workers. I want to go to places I haven't been before without freaking out about where the bathroom is. I want my body to know that I have to go to the bathroom for at least 10 minutes before it's actually time to go. Someday...maybe sooner than I had thought possible. I feel for each of you suffering from this horrible condition. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this new medicine is exactly what each of us has been waiting for. You can get to the complete story by going to:www.msnbc.com, click on health, then click on Browse Library, double click digestive under the topics and it is the 4th story down titled: Drug may treat irritable bowel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.