Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!I just found this board and from what I've read so far - it looks like a great and supportive group! I'm a 41 yr old female, who has suffered with this god-awful condition for several years, oddly since having my kids... any connection? LOL The symptoms have been getting worse of late, and my Dr. has decided that the time has come for some more investigation. Hence the colonoscopy. Imagine my joy. I used to work as an LPN, but it's been years so I've forgotten some stuff and did some refreshing of my atrophied brain on the 'net. The procedure sounds like riotous fun... Starving for 3 days, drinking a delightful cocktail that will induce me to pee thru my butt thru a needle at 40 paces until my insides have been Roto-routered, only to culminate in having a 73" tube (HELLO???!!!) rammed up my rectum. Gee, this is finally giving me something to live for... My question is - has anyone else here had to go thru this medical merry-go-round? And if so, anyone willing to share?? I'm really needing someone to give me the lowdown - I can handle anything but the unknown!Thank you so much! I hope to learn a lot of coping skills here. IBS is a really 'crappy' condition... !

·
Banned
221 Posts
ImSOtiredTake heart. It's not nearly as gruesome as as you are imagining.The big benefit for me was I felt absolutely wonderful for several days after, like as if all the "poison" had been flushed out. That feeling was so good I've often been tempted to ask my Dr for another one.The test I did'nt like was the gastroscopy where they shove a 3 foot hose down the throat, but they give a mild anaesthetic so you're only half with it.Take it easy, and best of luck with the results.

·
Banned
221 Posts
ImSOtiredTake heart. It's not nearly as gruesome as as you are imagining.The big benefit for me was I felt absolutely wonderful for several days after, like as if all the "poison" had been flushed out. That feeling was so good I've often been tempted to ask my Dr for another one.The test I did'nt like was the gastroscopy where they shove a 3 foot hose down the throat, but they give a mild anaesthetic so you're only half with it.Take it easy, and best of luck with the results.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quite shockingly enough, I had a lot of fun with my colonoscopy. But the first time I had tried to prepare for it, with Go-lightly.. or new-lightly. Whatever it's called, made me terriblely sick, on the floor, couldn't get up sick.Second time around I used Fleet Phospho-Soda. Wonderful, and pain-free. Here's exactly what I did to prepare.My test was on a monday, so I had very little to eat on saturday, just some rice and popcicles. On sunday nothing to eat, and took the phospho-soda. I needed to have three small glasses (beats a gallon of the go-lightly) of it, mixed with juice of choice (white grape juice. mmm..). After the second glass I just decided to keep myself on the toilet. It wasn't bad. I was a little scared to make the trip to the hospital, but I made it. After all that it's easy, just sit back and enjoy it. Haha.I was praised by the doctor afterwards. He commented on how clean it was.Good luck. It's not bad at all. I highly reccomend phospho-soda.-Stacey

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quite shockingly enough, I had a lot of fun with my colonoscopy. But the first time I had tried to prepare for it, with Go-lightly.. or new-lightly. Whatever it's called, made me terriblely sick, on the floor, couldn't get up sick.Second time around I used Fleet Phospho-Soda. Wonderful, and pain-free. Here's exactly what I did to prepare.My test was on a monday, so I had very little to eat on saturday, just some rice and popcicles. On sunday nothing to eat, and took the phospho-soda. I needed to have three small glasses (beats a gallon of the go-lightly) of it, mixed with juice of choice (white grape juice. mmm..). After the second glass I just decided to keep myself on the toilet. It wasn't bad. I was a little scared to make the trip to the hospital, but I made it. After all that it's easy, just sit back and enjoy it. Haha.I was praised by the doctor afterwards. He commented on how clean it was.Good luck. It's not bad at all. I highly reccomend phospho-soda.-Stacey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi! I went through this about three months ago. I very highly reccomend the fleet phospho-soda over the gallon of go-lighlty (whatever its called). That however is the worst part because it tastes like battery acid (not that I've ever tried it, but can imagine). Yes, you do sit on the can most of the night, but with no cramping or pain. The procedure itself is a breeze. Good luck!!! Keep us posted on how it turns out. Samantha

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi! I went through this about three months ago. I very highly reccomend the fleet phospho-soda over the gallon of go-lighlty (whatever its called). That however is the worst part because it tastes like battery acid (not that I've ever tried it, but can imagine). Yes, you do sit on the can most of the night, but with no cramping or pain. The procedure itself is a breeze. Good luck!!! Keep us posted on how it turns out. Samantha

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I highly enjoyed your colorful discription of the prep and the procedure, Imsotired! I just had a colonoscopy 2 months ago so it made me laugh as I remembered all the fun I had.
The prep is definitely the worst part of it. I had my procedure on a Monday at 12 so on Saturday night I started my liquid diet and had to drink a bottle of Sodium Bicarbonate. Yummy stuff. hehe. Then I was fortunate enough to have the GoLightly stuff everyone has been speaking of so fondly... if there's something else you can take instead- I highly recommend it!! I had to drink a whole gallon of that horrible stuff. It took me 8 hours because I just couldn't drink it any faster! And after a while, I was sitting on the toilet with my coctail.. sort of going in and straight through me again! (Saved time)
Anyway, the procedure is easy. They put me out for it so there's no pain at all. Good luck!Jenni

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I highly enjoyed your colorful discription of the prep and the procedure, Imsotired! I just had a colonoscopy 2 months ago so it made me laugh as I remembered all the fun I had.
The prep is definitely the worst part of it. I had my procedure on a Monday at 12 so on Saturday night I started my liquid diet and had to drink a bottle of Sodium Bicarbonate. Yummy stuff. hehe. Then I was fortunate enough to have the GoLightly stuff everyone has been speaking of so fondly... if there's something else you can take instead- I highly recommend it!! I had to drink a whole gallon of that horrible stuff. It took me 8 hours because I just couldn't drink it any faster! And after a while, I was sitting on the toilet with my coctail.. sort of going in and straight through me again! (Saved time)
Anyway, the procedure is easy. They put me out for it so there's no pain at all. Good luck!Jenni

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good Luck with the Colonscopy..I had mine last month after escaping it for 17 years...i was so scared this time as last time they didnt give me anything to make me drowsy etc..As for the Fleet phospho soda..arrhhh...i downed the first and second doses with much drama..when it came time to have it the morning for the scope i threw it back up straight away..needless to say they werent happy with me at the hospital...they gave me about 3 enemas (the old style) to clean me out...and apparently that wasnt enough..so the GI did more when i was administered the drug...now i woke up during the procedure and got to see him taking biopsies on the tv screen..but it was good to get a clean out...i wasnt well for days had a lot of cramping etc..till they decided i had colitis..all those years i didnt know and they kept telling me it was only IBS (D) and now i have both..but the meds i got are working wonderfully and as long as i watch what i eat im fine..although i still feel like eating something naughty (ice cream)..as i only just found out how wonderful ben and jerrys ice cream is..It might not be nice during the prep and its not..but its worth it to make sure there is nothing more serious underneath...now i only have to take immodium every few days..no more lomotil,peptos or motofen...I would say it was worth it definately....Mine got considerably worse once they found endometriosis after i had my kids...but that discussion has been on here before...Still think its the American Food too..im used to Aussie food and its definately not as fatty in Australia...------------------AussieDeb
quote:In this world we all need humor
aussiecoppin###aol.com

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good Luck with the Colonscopy..I had mine last month after escaping it for 17 years...i was so scared this time as last time they didnt give me anything to make me drowsy etc..As for the Fleet phospho soda..arrhhh...i downed the first and second doses with much drama..when it came time to have it the morning for the scope i threw it back up straight away..needless to say they werent happy with me at the hospital...they gave me about 3 enemas (the old style) to clean me out...and apparently that wasnt enough..so the GI did more when i was administered the drug...now i woke up during the procedure and got to see him taking biopsies on the tv screen..but it was good to get a clean out...i wasnt well for days had a lot of cramping etc..till they decided i had colitis..all those years i didnt know and they kept telling me it was only IBS (D) and now i have both..but the meds i got are working wonderfully and as long as i watch what i eat im fine..although i still feel like eating something naughty (ice cream)..as i only just found out how wonderful ben and jerrys ice cream is..It might not be nice during the prep and its not..but its worth it to make sure there is nothing more serious underneath...now i only have to take immodium every few days..no more lomotil,peptos or motofen...I would say it was worth it definately....Mine got considerably worse once they found endometriosis after i had my kids...but that discussion has been on here before...Still think its the American Food too..im used to Aussie food and its definately not as fatty in Australia...------------------AussieDeb
aussiecoppin###aol.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for all your replies! I guess it's pretty much what I expected. A peck of meaningful fun..! I'll just plan to wrap a blanket around me, put a pillow on the back of the toilet, and hang out there for the night prior to the procedure! I'll be sure to ask for the soda stuff instead of that GoLightly, or whatever it's called. And I've informed my hubby that I won't listen to ANY whining on his part over his annual prostate exam any more!! A 4" finger vs. a 73" tube... hmmmm. I'm thinking that I'm the one who wins whining priviledges!Thanks!Tired

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for all your replies! I guess it's pretty much what I expected. A peck of meaningful fun..! I'll just plan to wrap a blanket around me, put a pillow on the back of the toilet, and hang out there for the night prior to the procedure! I'll be sure to ask for the soda stuff instead of that GoLightly, or whatever it's called. And I've informed my hubby that I won't listen to ANY whining on his part over his annual prostate exam any more!! A 4" finger vs. a 73" tube... hmmmm. I'm thinking that I'm the one who wins whining priviledges!Thanks!Tired

·
Banned
221 Posts
AussieDebAussie! Aussie! Aussie!Oy! Oy! Oy!Yeah, the Anerican Diet! How long have you been living there?We've just about caught up in the race to find the worst possible diet humans could devise.Surely it is still possible to eat healthy there despite all attempts by the processors and the fast food mob to take away our money and our health too? [This message has been edited by Redclaw (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Banned
221 Posts
AussieDebAussie! Aussie! Aussie!Oy! Oy! Oy!Yeah, the Anerican Diet! How long have you been living there?We've just about caught up in the race to find the worst possible diet humans could devise.Surely it is still possible to eat healthy there despite all attempts by the processors and the fast food mob to take away our money and our health too? [This message has been edited by Redclaw (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
179 Posts
G'Day Redclaw...I have lived here for just over 18 months now..i married an american..believe me i call this place the land of instant food...i thought it was novel at first but now i eat healthy..i stay away from most fast food except subway...cause they have healthy food..U wouldnt believe how much lamb is here...i was so desperate this week i paid 40.00 aussie dollars for a Kilo...but boy were they yummy....lamb chops and mashed potatoes and mint sauce...need my aussie food..only thing i cant get here is Milo..so normally when i go back there i bring the largest tin i can and use it sparingly....------------------AussieDeb
aussiecoppin###aol.com

·
Registered
179 Posts
G'Day Redclaw...I have lived here for just over 18 months now..i married an american..believe me i call this place the land of instant food...i thought it was novel at first but now i eat healthy..i stay away from most fast food except subway...cause they have healthy food..U wouldnt believe how much lamb is here...i was so desperate this week i paid 40.00 aussie dollars for a Kilo...but boy were they yummy....lamb chops and mashed potatoes and mint sauce...need my aussie food..only thing i cant get here is Milo..so normally when i go back there i bring the largest tin i can and use it sparingly....------------------AussieDeb
aussiecoppin###aol.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.