Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, have just joined this forum and thought I'd ask for advice! For most of my life I've generally tended to only have a bowel movement maybe 2-3 times a week and sometimes am constipated, sometimes not - until now, not really a big problem. However, recently - and this is the embarrassing bit! - the size of my stools seems to be getting bigger and bigger - of course the longer time between bm's, the bigger my stool is. Sometimes it is huge - and recently seems to be getting bigger, and of course causes blockage - not just to me but the (unfortunate) toilet I may be using. I do try and go as soon as I get the urge, but the dread of course is that it sometimes happens when I'm staying with friends ... and end up blocking their toilets ... so far I've not caused a problem but one day ...

They are not particularly hard to pass (only sometimes), but often they are quite soft - but LARGE (long)! In fact, today I passed the largest/longest one I have ever done (and yes, blocked the toilet again).

I don't have any particular bloating or other symptoms as such, maybe very occasional discomfort - I probably don't drink enough water so am going to increase my intake, and am also going to eat more bran and fibre, as well as salad now summer is coming (hopefully!). I do try and eat vegetables and also avoid too much bread as that can make me feel bloated.

I would just like to be able to pass stools a bit more regularly, and more importantly not so huge! Does anyone have any idea why they should be so abnormally large?

Gulp!

ms independent

·
Community Manager
13,188 Posts
hi and welcome to the board

about why your stools so big--well all i can think of is, like you say, the longer you go between bm's, they bigger they get. so, yes, it would seem that if you could manage to go more often--daily--then they should be smaller.

generally, the more fiber you eat--particularly insoluble fiber, the bigger the stool size. if you're eating a lot of insoluble fiber already, that would also account for why they are large.

taking magnesium supplements like magnesium oxide or magnesium citrate tablets will help soften stools and helps a lot of people have bms on a more frequent basis..we have a lot of threads here on the board about magnesium.

or you could try taking movicol (it's called miralax here in the usa). that might help you go more frequently. start with a small dose and work up if you need to. sometimes you need to play around with the dose to find out what works best.

and yes, do make sure you drink enough water--especially if you plan to increase your fiber intake.

we've had posts in the past from people who were plugging the toilet...maybe they will chime in if they are still here on the board..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh my - I have had this happen to me just recently. We flew from France to Texas to visit my boyfriends son and family...And I blocked the loo. It happened late at night thank goodness, and I managed to use the loo brush and lots of flushing to get it through the system. It hasn't happened again, and at this stage, I wish it would! Far better than the pellets I am currently producing.

·
Community Manager
13,188 Posts
kimhp--i know what you mean. i'd far rather be plugging the toilet than struggling with rabbit pellets lol....hate those things..

flossy--your suggestion is what my husband would say lol.. he never has any problems going. i have "poop envy". he actually brought down the pipes one evening. he'd been in the upstairs bathroom, flushed and then i heard the pipes fall down in the basement . LOL.. way too funny.
biggrin.png
(well, those pipes had been a little loose to begin with..)

Reactions: kimhp
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.