Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the AM problems that I was reading ,,for 10 years I have worked my life around my stomach,,,,I would get up 2 hours early before my family to deal with C then D. waitin ,,,hoping to clean out.....I can't maintain a normal job,,,,, I recently got re married my honeymoon cost a fortune because i needed a two room suite,to take care of thingsin the morning...now things get worse,,,I never went for a colonoscopy gecause I was frightened,,,,I'm 35 and now pregnant and sick sick sick,,,,,my morning are much worse ..so I went back to a new doc and I was now also diagnosed Helicobacter Pylori positive. and I may have peptic ulcers too,,,however they can't treat me or do tests because I'm only 11 weeks pregnant and its now safe yet.....I'm hating my pregnancy..I should be a happy person but I'm in such pain,,,,I am AFRAID of food,,,,I eat in the middle of the night,,, so that If I get gas and bloating now one will know,,,,,,,I go to sleep on the couch every nite,,,,I miss sleeping with my husband.......he has never been aware of my pain until recently.......Is there hope for me,,,,,how does one suvive with IBS...sometime i don't want to....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Darla, Don't give up.There's lots of people here who have been through the same stuff.Sounds like you have a few things going on besides IBS plus pregnancy.I was pretty miserable for the first 4 months of 2 of my pregnancies but I didn't have ulcers and stuff.I think they sound pretty painful but there's probably not alot you can do till your baby's born.Maybe other people here can offer you some advice.Hang in there! Heather

·
Registered
880 Posts
I sure hope things get better for you and the pregnancy. At least you have found this board with lots of people who can sympathize with you. Also, don't underestimate how supportive a good spouse can be. I went to great extends to hide my condition from my husband for years. But finally, I brought it all out in the open. He is very supportive and helpful, and now he understands when I don't want to go somewhere (he doesn't always like it, but at least he understands). You'd probably want to know if your husband had a chronic condition.Also, keep searching this BB for suggestions like calcium supplements. I realize you can't do anything without your doctor's permission because of the pregnancy, but at least you can learn about your options.Good luck! I do hope for the best for you...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Darla-I can certainly relate to you, been there done that
What I can tell you is that you can get through everything, even though it may not seem like it right now. I had a really rough time IBS D wise during my pregnancy (alot of women actually get more C when they are pregnant)but bottom line is I was able to have a healthy baby as I am sure you will too. After the baby comes you really should get a proper work up if you are still bothered by these symptoms, just to rule out anything more serious, as well as get treated for your h-pylori (I'm sure your OB would know if there are any treatments for it that are safe during pregnancy so maybe you won't have to wait) I waited almost 3 years after my son was born to get worked up by a GI, at which time I got the official IBS diagnosis. By introducing fiber in my diet, (I take fibercon)using librax for spasms/flareups and changing/modifying my diet, lifestyle alittle(its all trial and error)I was able to gain more control over my IBS. I also didn't have a computer or this BB back then, where you will find alot of support/suggestions and information. I hope you will soon feel comfortable letting your husband know how you are feeling physically so that he can be supportive, and you guys can cuddle again. Again the most important thing that I feel that I can tell you is not to give up, keep coming back to this board,there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hope this helps
------------------Nancy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Figuring out the right calcium and magnesium may be extremely helpful. Calcium carbonate (and I am told other carbonates in your diet)causes C, calcium citrate relieves C at least it does for me, but my calcium citrate has magnesium citrate in it too and it may be that that magnesium citrate is a big help. For me the calcium citrate/magnesium citrate more importantly RELIEVES ACUTE NAUSEA AND ACUTE INDIGESTION. The reason magnesium is in the pill is that the body needs 1/2 as much magnesium as calcium so the body can use the calcium.Finding which foods cause your gut to slow and cause constipation and which ones make you react with D or with shedding all your mucous is an experimental process which your docs may not believe is advisable during pregnancy. But I don't think that being violently ill during pregnancy is advisable either. Ultimately YOU will have to decide when and what to try to improve your GI symptoms and so your total body health, energy, and strength. Not having health, energy, and strength sounds hard on the baby as well as on you. But finding out which foods are good for you and which ones are not is not as simple as scratching your arm and putting on a dot of bread to see if your skin reacts to it. The only tests that count are the ones where the food or drink or pill goes thru your gut and make you feel well or sick. If you know any food or foods that make you feel well, they are the only ones to start eating. But that means a very unbalanced diet for a period of time. Then try one new food about each week. The sick symptoms likely show up 24-72 hours after eating it, so write down what you eat and what your symptoms are and see which foods cause what symptoms.I cannot suggest whether you try to do this stuff now. Prenancy is notorious for causing its own set of symptoms, nausea notable among them. So it may be present and fool you into thinking you cannot eat some foods that you generally can.My heart goes out to you. Please write to us often to let us know how you are coming along. Whatever you decide, we want you to know that we love you and encourage and support you. And we sympathize with your very difficult situation.

G

·
Nancy, this is a difficult time for you but it will get better. The advise Joan gave you is right on target. I would like to add that if you use Mike's tapes, they will help you, as well as the baby, to relax and perhaps bring a positive change. You're reward will be a nice calm baby and a happy new you. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hi Darla,I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time. I thought I was the only one who had to get up hours before everybody else in order to "do my thing" in the bathroom. I can totally relate. Of course an ideal situation would have been to have dicovered the H-Pylori and ulcers before you became pregnant, but what is done is done as they say. Will they be able to treat you when your pregnancy is a little further along? In the meantime at least you know what the most likely cause is for your discomfort. The main thing now is to concentrate on having a happy, healthy baby. The idea of the hypnotherapy tapes sounds like a good one to me. You definitley need to relax and they should help you do that. With your doctors approval, I would stick to a bland diet. I also think the worst thing you can do is eat in the middle of the night. I would suggest forcing yourself to eat 3 or 4 small meals during the day, and don't eat anything after 7:00 P.M. Eating in the middle of the night and then laying down is not a good idea. Digestion is easier when you are up an moving. I hope you feel better.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.