Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group! my name is Miguel and im new to this forum. i am hoping to get some answers to some questions i have.

i am a 46 year old male and have been recently getting symptoms that make me believe i have IBS. i have not been to a doctor about my symptoms because of two reasons....first i have no medical insurance and second i suffer from panic and anxiety disorder and agoraphobia which makes it very difficult to see a doctor. i have been reading about conditions with my symptoms and it seems that IBS is the only one that my symptoms seem to all connect to.

About two months ago i remember eating a breakfast burrito that consisted of egg and onion. A few hours later i remember burping and getting a sour taste in my mouth...i could also taste what i had eaten. Less than an hour later i developed a very nasty sour stomach. The belly ache lasted pretty much the rest of the day. I didnt take anything for it figuring it that maybe the eggs were bad. I did eat a few times during that day but very little. The next morning i woke with no ache but after eating a few bites of my breakfast (cereal) i felt very bloated and again got the belly ache..although not as bad as the day before. I took some ant-acid but it had no effect on the belly ache. For the next month or so i had a pretty constant belly ache...some times mild and other times it was pretty bad. The first three days i had diarrhea and after that i was constipated. A few times during that time i had nausea that lasted maybe an hour and then went away on its own. After close to a month of this the belly ache sent away and i was fine for about a week. During that week that i was fine i remember my bowel movement was normal and i went once or twice a day..usually in the morningg. Three days ago i began to get the belly ache once again. When its mild i can live with it but some times it feels like my belly is going to pop from how bloated it can feel and the belly ache can get pretty bad at times.

These are my symptoms: belly ache that is there pretty much all day....Do any of you have a constant belly ache? Sometimes i can tolerate it and sometimes it is bad. The belly pain is usually at mid belly...just above the belly button..and sometimes i feel pressure under the belly button...like when gas builds up. The belly ache feels like bad indigestion. I also get bloated and feel like im filled with gas but i do not feel i burp or fart more than normal. Sometimes eating even a small bite of my food will make me feel very full. Most times i am constipate and when i do have a bowel movement it is usually not much. There are times my stool is thinner than normal and times when it is about normal size. When i am bloated i do get the urgency to go poop..although most times i will sit there and nothing comes out. I get dizzy. I feel tired. Since this all started i have gotten nausea about four times but i have never vomited. I do get some pain in my back at times...right around dead center of my back...but it usually goes away after a few minutes. There is no blood in my urine nor in my stool. I know one of the tell tale symptoms of IBS is having releaf from belly ache after bowel movement but with me it does not go away after i poop. Is this something that any of you have? I do feel very hungry at times and i know excessive acid in the belly can cause this sensation and i also read that this can be a symptoms of IBS as well. I do believe i have acid reflux although i do not have any symptoms. There are times where it feels like the inside of my belly is warmer than usual. I also get mild cramping in my descending bowel at times. I read about how anxiety can bring on IBS and how it can also make the symptoms worse. I have suffered from General Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder for over 25 years and this is the first time i have experiences all of these stomach issues. Could this be IBS? I am so scared that it is something much worse like colon cancer or liver disease or kidney disease....but someone told me that if it were something serious (like cancer) the symptoms would probably not subside and then come back but instead they would steadily get worse. I am so scared to eat anything because i just dont want to go through a bad belly ache again. I wish i could see a doctor and get some answers but i cant.....this makes things so much stressful for me. Im sure there are other symptoms i am missing but i am so stressed at this moment that my mind is pretty foggy right now.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i know its not a good idea to self diagnose on the internet.....especially for someone with anxiety issues. and i know that the best thing is to see a doctor. problem is that i can barely leave my house most times due to my agoraphobia which makes going to see a doctor so very difficult for me. that and the frustration of not knowing what is wrong with me...well sometimes i cant help but to try and look for answers online. i am not married and have no children so im dealing with this pretty much on my own. i have no insurance so i cannot get therapy for my panic disorder and general anxiety disorder and all the mess that come with that. could my symptoms be caused by something other than IBS? IBS is the only thing that my symptoms seem to point to. i have tried eating small meals instead of three large meals...and that seems to help with the stomach discomfort. the belly ache now comes and goes during the day. sometimes it will last hours or most of the day and sometimes it doesnt bother me at all for a whole day. the last three days have been ok. but today ive had mild belly discomfort most of the day. there isnt any particular food that triggers the pain...but it seems that when i eat smal meals the pain is lessened. all i want is to get some opinions on what this could be that is giving me issues. i try not to search on google because ill just get myself paranoid about it being something like cancer or some life threatening condition. i just dont know where to turn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. My ibs does cause very similar symptoms to you. I also suffer from panic and anxiety so I know that nausea especially can be bad. The pain you are describing thats kinda behind your belly button is something I am very familiar with, but unfortunately without seeing to a doctor no one could really say for sure. Im sorry about you insurance situation. Are there ways in the US to see doctors for free?

Have you tried looking at the all the foods that you have been eating, for example a food diary can help keep track of what you've eaten before you get severe pain or tummy problems, and can help spot any patterns that occur. I hope i have been in any way helpful :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too had no insurance for 4 years!
avoided doctor visits too because of it until last year when I had to go to the ER! I found out I qualifed for Madicaid! everything was covered! $11000.00 (total bill when they adjusted for no insurance was $4800.00!) for 7 hours in ER!
They will have someone take your info to see if you qualify, and if not you can make very small monthly payments!
I urge you to see a Doctor. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts