Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.I need a little advice or some opinions so I can learn more about the "potential condition" I have been diagnosed with.To cut a very long story short. 4 months ago I started to get what can only be discribed as 'twinges' in my upper right quadrant area. These twinges eventually turned to the most unbearable pain imaginable and I was rushed to A&E and spent the next 2.5 weeks undergoing tests, scan's and endoscopy's etc. All they found was chronic gastritis which they prescribed omeprazole for but this doesn't seem to have helped. Since I left hospital to date I have been precribed pain killers and antacid tablets plus lots more and am having to take well over 20 tablets a day just so I can function and not feel the pain as much. 1 Month ago however my consultant removed my gaul bladder which he told me later was deformed and full of gunge?! Yet the initial pain is still very much apparent.Yesterday I had an appointment with my consultant and he said that he does not no 100% what is causing the problem so he is referring me to a Gastrologist (not sure of proper name) for further infection.He did add however that I might have IB not IBS as the colonoscopy came back clear. Or Crohns disease but he isn't sure.1. What is the difference between IB & IBS if any?2. Has anyone on this forum suffered similar effects?3. Could anyone offer up any advice as to what might be the cause of the problem?I am at my wits end and am really not coping very well.Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.Kev

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't know the difference between IB and IBS, that would be a question for your doctor ? Maybe he thinks it is irritable bowel with a cause because you have the gastritis, whereas syndrome are people that have a functional disorder with no disease cause.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The problem may be functional dyspepsia with delayed gastric emptying. They have found a macrophage that attracts eosinophils in the epithelium of the duodenum, (and increased numbers of eosinophils). The eosinophils activate mast cells and the mast cells deactivate afferent nerves of the stomach. The result is decreasd vago-vagal input to the brain stem which doesn't produce nitric oxide (a neurotransmitter) which relaxes the pyloric sphincter and thus empties the stomach. The stomach acid causes gastritis. Now, they are soon coming out with a pill (Acotiamide) that blocks the vagal receptors that will produce increased vagal efferents from the brain stem that will produce more nitric oxide and open the pyloric sphincter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.