Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all- So glad to have found this site. I did a few searches and spent some time navigating through some of the forums. There appears to be lots of helpful information posted.I am trying to locate information from other IBS members regarding quitting your job because of IBS. I applied for unemployment and my appeal was denied. I feel I have a good case, however, proving that my symptoms increased significantly because of stress from my job is a challenge. If anyone has any information that might be useful regarding my situation, I would greatly appreciate it. I only have a few days to do a final appeal..........Thanks in advance,Margie

·
Registered
976 Posts
Do you live in the UK.I do and I had to quit my job because of Ibs-D and I ended up with anxiety and depression as well, I am currently on benefits, but have to attend a medical for the department for work and pensions, my first claim was denied. I appealed, then it went to a tribunal hearing, then it was agreed. But today I am back for another medical and fear it will be the same all over again. My Ibs-d has gotten worse too, but they dont recognise Ibs-d as a severe illness to be off work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I live in the U.S. I too had anxiety, lots, and was starting to feel somewhat depressed. However, I have to say, once I left my job, I felt better immediately! I suffer from IBS-A. There would be times where I could not go to the bathroom for up to a week. I was waking up in the middle of the night with excruiating pains. I was losing sleep, and my appetite was not good so I was losing weight too. Today, 2 months later, I am so much better. What has helped me change my situation around completely is regular exercise (walking 4 - 5 times a week), better diet (including fiber supplements, more fruit and lots of water) and I am on medication from my doctor for about a year now. All in all, I am feeling very good. I am concerned however that going back to do the same work might bring on the symptoms again. Is there some place on the site that has valid medical proof that this condition can disable a person? You are so right when you said that others don't understand what a person with IBS struggles with. It's terrible and not a topic one is always comfortable talking about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.