Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum.I have had IBS for about 30 years. It started when I was about 18 and I was told I had a Spastic Colon which I later learnt was a term for IBS. The doctors have never really shown much interest, just given me anti-spasmodic medication and told me what to avoid eating. One doctor picked up that my problem seemed to be anxiety related and gave me mild tranquilisers which seemed to help.I even went to a psychologist for a few months, just to understand how the anxiety effected my colon.I know that I always get a flare-up when I have had stress or am feeling anxious and that once I'm relaxed again the pain passes. Trouble is, that I'm a VERY anxious person and spent years battling panic attacks and all sorts of anxiety related ailments. It's a vicious cycle as the anxiety causes the IBS flare-upo and in turn I worry about the pain (always assuming it's something very serious and prbably terminal) and that worry causes more pain...............My brother died just three weeks ago from cancer and I spent the last 6 months watching him slowly waste away, so it's been a bad time for me. Of course the IBS has now kicked in and in turn I feel anxious about the pain, imagining that it could be something far worse. Even though I have reasoned with myself that it can only be IBS I'm still anxious and of course in pain.Does IBS cause a passing of mucous? Does anyone else get this?I'm glad I've found this forum, it's good to be able to share.Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some mucus is produced every single day in every person to lubricate and protect the colon. It is not something only produced by disease.That being said many IBSers produce see more mucus when it is acting up. Anything from being a bit constipated to irritation from looser stools can set off an increase in mucus. If you are otherwise having your normal IBS symptoms I wouldn't worry about it.Mucus is pretty non-specific response and anything can set if off, including IBS.Have you ever talked to anyone about getting treatment for the anxiety? There are some effective ones. If you cannot or will not seek professional or medical help for that at least consider getting a work book or two on anxiety using cognitive behavioral therapy techniques and work through the exercises, or try something like regular practice with the relaxation response. http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/stressman...t/a/relresp.htm or other stress management techniques.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi,I've suffered from IBS for 30 years, also. There are periods of time when I produce abundant mucous in my stool, usually when I've been really stressed out.I used to worry about it, but my gastroenterologist told me it's not unusual for IBS patients.Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you ever talked to anyone about getting treatment for the anxiety? There are some effective ones. If you cannot or will not seek professional or medical help for that at least consider getting a work book or two on anxiety using cognitive behavioral therapy techniques and work through the exercises, or try something like regular practice with the relaxation response. Thanks for replying. I've had alot of treatment for anxiety. I have it pretty much in control but now and then it gets the better of me. I know that my ibs is due to this because once I relax the symptoms disappear fairly soon. I used to find it difficult to believe that anxiety could do this to me and even now I still half suspect that there may be something else wrong. But, once again, now that I'm calm, the ibs symptoms have left.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is pretty amazing how much effect anxiety can have on the body. Both with some of the direct physical symptoms and from ramping up symptoms of any other health problem one has.Doesn't help that often the physical aspect are things that are disquieting to anyone when they happen for any reason, so tend to make the anxiety even worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.