Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching the internet and found this site. Over the last 7 years my life has slowly become one of isolation. Doesn't matter what I do, it never goes away completely. My main problem is I've developed panic attacks that actually trigger colon spasms. So now I avoid going out in public because if by chance I get a panic attack then I will have to find a bathroom pronto. I rarely go out anymore, even to the store. I would love to date and marry again someday but how in the world can you explain much less have a normal life with this disorder? It's very depressing. Now my social life is on the computer not only in my job but social networking. I'm a hit on-line and people would never know I suffer from this with the way I post and by my pictures. It's torture to be afraid to go anywhere. Sometimes I want to just post and see if anyone out there will mentor me and help me start getting out of my house and going places. Sorry, just needed to vent. I hope to find some friends on this site who know what I'm going through.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was searching the internet and found this site. Over the last 7 years my life has slowly become one of isolation. Doesn't matter what I do, it never goes away completely. My main problem is I've developed panic attacks that actually trigger colon spasms. So now I avoid going out in public because if by chance I get a panic attack then I will have to find a bathroom pronto. I rarely go out anymore, even to the store. I would love to date and marry again someday but how in the world can you explain much less have a normal life with this disorder? It's very depressing. Now my social life is on the computer not only in my job but social networking. I'm a hit on-line and people would never know I suffer from this with the way I post and by my pictures. It's torture to be afraid to go anywhere. Sometimes I want to just post and see if anyone out there will mentor me and help me start getting out of my house and going places. Sorry, just needed to vent. I hope to find some friends on this site who know what I'm going through.
hi Jeanne and welcome to the board! i didn't get it from your post whether you have constipation or diarrhea..? either way, i can sympathize with you, i've been suffering with my gutts for 17 yrs and yes, it has isolated me socially. i now, after a long jurney, feel better, getting back to work soon and hope to have a more normal life, maybe get married, build my self a home and family of my own.. sometimes i don't feel confident enough that i can. i'll start by getting back to work, then see. but the solusion to your isolation can't be found on the internet pages. you'll have to find the courage to start. and at the same time try to take care of you problem. you can volunteer like an hour a week in a hospital, for example. this can fill you with satisfaction that you're doing something to help others. i thought of doing it myself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I felt the same way too and had to get some counseling to help with my anxiety. I have a wonderful counselor who I can talk to and whohas helped me immensely. Part of your problem truly is the IBS, butif you're developing panic attacks you may need to seek out some professionalhelp. That's what I had to do as I had no other choice. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Welcome to the BB. Please know that there are so many of us who understand what you are going through. I also went through a period of being very isolated. Fortunately I found a good doctor, psychiatrist and psychologist to help me through. Also, Zelnorm helped change my life. Also Lexapro. I don't like taking all these meds, but they help me function so much better. I enjoy life now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi Jeanne and welcome to the board! i didn't get it from your post whether you have constipation or diarrhea..? either way, i can sympathize with you, i've been suffering with my gutts for 17 yrs and yes, it has isolated me socially. i now, after a long jurney, feel better, getting back to work soon and hope to have a more normal life, maybe get married, build my self a home and family of my own.. sometimes i don't feel confident enough that i can. i'll start by getting back to work, then see. but the solusion to your isolation can't be found on the internet pages. you'll have to find the courage to start. and at the same time try to take care of you problem. you can volunteer like an hour a week in a hospital, for example. this can fill you with satisfaction that you're doing something to help others. i thought of doing it myself.
Alwayshappy, you say your looking at getting back to work can I ask how long you have been off of work, I have been off work for 6 months now and desperate to get back yet because I don't get any warning before the pain strikes my DR and workplace won't let me back, I suffer with IBS-C. I totally understand what jeanne is saying about isolation as I feel i have made my home a cacoon and get anxious when i have to leave it, and spend most of my time on the internet chatting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.