Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am new here. Not new to IBS, just the group. I am afraid that I am hooked on laxatives. I get to the point where I can't stand it anymore so I take a few laxatives or drink an herbal senna tea every few days. I know that is bad and it may really harm me in the future (I am only 30). I know I don't want to end up with a colostomy by the time I am 45, but any advice to help out? I do try to get plenty of fiber - I usually have a cup of fiber one throughout the day (28 gm fiber) and drink about a liter of water everyday. UGH...help if you can.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You might add a daily dose of something like magnesium oxide that is an osmotic laxative (or a stool softener without a stimulatory laxative) that will help keep water in the stool so it moves better. (usually people around here take 400 mgs a day up to 1000 mgs a day. Some a bit less. 400-1000 is the range that people should get every day anyway as it is a nutrient you need. Over 1000 regularly might be a health issue, so don't over do it). There are also prescription versions of osmotics like Miralax that might be worth checking out as well as something like Zelnorm. So talk to the doctor if you haven't. You might also need testing for transit time, or your pelvic floor to make sure things are working OK. (and it may not be the laxatives that make them not OK, it may be your need for laxatives is a symptom not a cause)Some people may need more fiber than you are getting, and you might check if you are doing more soluble or insoluble. Some people do better with more soluble fiber.K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. I have tried miralax (it made me very gassy and bloated). I have also tried Zelnorm and it worked great for a bit, then it just stopped having any effect at all. I will try the Mg oxide. Thanks again.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Cocunuts,when you tried miralax, how much did you take? the usual 17 grams 1 time a day didn't cut it for me- I take it 3 times a day and add a littlle extra to the cup- it works along iwth zelnorm 95 % of the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.