Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been recently diagnosed,(Jan. of this year) with SIBO via a small intestine biopsy and stool samples from Diagnos-tech. My trouble started two years ago after taking anti-biotics for a skin rash. Shortly after I developed cronic constipation, c-diff, 50 lbs of weight loss, anal fissures, constant stomack gurgling and bloating, and several food intolerences. I have been trying to fight this natural through diet and supplements with no success. My Gastro doc recommended antibiotics in Jan. I just could not bring myself to go that route after what happened last time I took them. Has anybody out there found healing from this? What works? Thank you for your time and any advice you may have.Blessings,Corey

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The main treatment for SIBO is antibiotics to clear the bacteria out of the small intestine.About the only other treatment is an elemental diet (a liquid that you absorb so quickly there is no food for the bacteria until they die off from starvation).Pimentel also has a diet with food that may help heal but usually he does it in combination with antibiotics. I you click the books link in the menu at the top of the page his book is listed there and I think that book discusses an elemental diet. I don't know how well that works, most of the research is in which antibiotics to use.A few people try herbal things with supposed antimicrobial activity but you may reject those for the same reasons you reject any other bacteria killers. Things like oregano oil or grapefruit seed extract. There is no solid data for them, but some people who use them claim they help.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Antibiotics are typically used to treat SIBO. You may want to ask your doctor about rifaximin or another non-absorbable AB (meaning it stays in the GI tract for the most part). Rifaximin worked well for me, although I had SIBO with D, not C.Have you tried probiotics? Most probiotics have some antimicrobial activity in the gut, and some people have had success with them alone, although I think it would take much longer to see improvement than with the ABs. You could also use probiotics to follow up a course of antibiotics in order to rebuild the intestinal flora.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts