Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this board. I have type D and once in a while type C IBD. My biggest problem is the gas. Luckily there is no or very little odor, just LOTS and LOTS of air. Unless it is carbonated,fatty, fried, or greasy what I eat has very little effect. I tried may over the counter drugs and the only thing that helps day to day is Equallcatin. That took care of most of the *D*. But the gas remaines. Any ideas?Also I read the boards here, What does the Peppermint Pills do? Help eliminate the gas or simply make it smell better? I hope that isn't a silly question
. What is Acidophulis? where do I get it at?What is Caltrate and where do I get it at?Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi and welcome to the board. You can get Caltrate at the drug store and the Acidophlus at a health food store. Caltrate is a calcuim suppliment and should be Calcuim Carbonate, not calcuim citrate. The acidophlus can be found in active yogurt and helps aid in restoring the healthy bacteria in you bowels. I take "Caltrate 600+D", and "Yogurt Tablets" along with "Papaya Enzymes"( which is a digestive aid)These last two, I find, helps to digest the food easier so I don't get so much gas.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Equalactin has calcium in it. I just got some this weekend and am wondering if its going to work. I would not take Calcium Carbonate and Equalactin ( calcium Polycarbophil ) at the same time. I don't know if it would cause problems or not, but I wouldn't do it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lynn- What's the difference between calcium carbonate and calcium citrate?Blair- Why would you not take calcium carbonate and equalactin at the same time? What is equalactin for anyway?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can also buy peppermint pills at the Health food store. I use Peppermint Plus by Enzymatic Therapy. For me they work really when when my colon starts to spasm. Now if I feel an attack coming on and start to get cramps, I pop 2 peppermint pills and the pain is usually gone in 30 minutes or so and even keeps me out of the bathroom. Some people use pepperming in between meals, but I find it works best for me to use it just when I need it. It does work on gas also, but be careful if you have any reflux since peppermint can aggravite that condition.I also take Acidiophilus in the morning to help keep the good bacteria at a plus for me. I have a huge fear of getting gastrointestional viruses and I've heard this can help. I've also had food poisoning twice in the past 3 years and I've read the acidiphilous can help with this too.Lastly, I use Caltrate Plus 2x a day and it has been working fabulously to control the loose stool I occasionally get. I'd also suggest a remedy I found on this group for gas that uses chamomille and peppermint tea. 4 T. chamomille, 2T. peppermint, to one quart boiling water. Combine all and cover for 30 minutes. Strain and drink chilled or warm. It really helps with the gas and rumbling gurgling sounds.Ann

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use a great digestive herbal enzyme product called Experience that cleans out the colon of any old stuff (which I find causes a lot of the gas). It serves as both a digestive aid and as a way to keep the colon clean and healthy. The herbal combination of this product helps to reeducate the colon to function properly, helping either with C or D. If interested, please email me directly as I am a distributor of this product and don't want to offend anyone by commercial activity. All I know is it works for me and my husband and MANY others I know, and am offering it as a possible solution to colon problems and gas.Have a healthy day!!Josee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also wanted to mention that the peppermint candy Altoids really helps me also. It contains real peppermint oil and in a pinch I just suck on one or two candies and it really helps settle my stomach. Also much cheaper than the $20 a bottle for 60 capsules of Peppermint Plus.Ann

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
LMB, I thought Equalactin had alot more calcium in it than it does. Equalactin mostly has polcarbophil, which I think is a bulking agent like fiber. I thought if I took too much calcium I'd plug up. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking both at the same time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LMB - Hi. In answer to your question, Calcium carbonate made from natrual calcium carbonate contains aluminum or lead and we should steer clear of those. However, Pharmaceutical-grade calcuim carbonate should be free of metals. "Caltrate" is one that is safe. Calcium citrate, calcium gluconate, and calcium lactate are also metal-free, but each of these types contains less concentrated forms of calcium. Calcium carbonate is also found in Tums and Rolaids, and these two antacids are aluminum-free also. Calcium is best absorbed when taken with food and at a dose not exceeding 500 milligrams, so if taking, say, 1000mg, divide it between 2 meals. Taking too much calcium can cause kidney stones and constipation and can also inhibit zinc and iron absorption. High levels in the blood of the mineral can cause the body to excrete any excess which in turn triggers the loss of magnesium.Hope this helps you.
PS - To be perfectly honest with you, I didn't have a clue when you asked, so I looked it up. heeeeheee
An here ya just thought I was smart, eh?
[This message has been edited by Lynn (edited 01-21-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I take Fibercon,peppermint pills by Enzymatic therapy, and just recently started shark cartilage. The shark cartilage is for the gas. It seems to be working great. Today is only day 5 and I would recommend using it. I tried Shark cartilage by Twin Lab and it didn't work, so if you are going to try it it must be Shark Phyter. You can find it at the Great Earth Store. Since taking the Shark Phyter I have actually felt "normal" for the first time in 2 years. Actually, Wayne suggested I try this so he gets all the credit.------------------Jessica

·
Registered
598 Posts
See my posting aboutPeppermint Plus on sale from Swanson's. This is a really good price; they sell lot's of other things at discount too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lynn, please check the posts by Linda Nape on calcium. I recall that recommended needs of calcium are in the 1500mg per day range. Three 600mg Caltrate Plus is 1800mg and considered safe. TOO LITTLE calcium may cause kidney stones, as I recall her discussions. Even if I take 3 x 600 a day, I forget enough times to reduce that average a bit. Ingesting large amounts of calcium along with several [5-6]glasses of milk a day is not recommended. Flux gave this rare problem a name and it wasn't stones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey all! I'm just wondering, I usually rely on Levsin for all my IBS ailments. But should I not rely so much on this medicine? Should I start using all this stuff you all recommend? I just don't know, and I don't know where to start. I think I might go buy me some Calcium stuff first? any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The safe limit of ingesting calcium is considered to be 2500 mg or over. There are cases where people take large doses of calcium and drink several quarts of milk along with that, some people actually like the stuff, and they may develop hypercalcemia. This involves a swollen kidney which then is or becomes disfunctional. Check the post of 2/09/99, topic-Caltrate Plus-twice a day, Martha explains it better. Read Linda Napes post also.[This message has been edited by TB (edited 02-21-99).]

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Hi Fellow Calcium Takers:All of the info you have passed along is just great. Thanks for all the help. If you were not there to answer these questions for people I would never be able to get away for the computer. Thanks all and keep taking you calcium. Isn't it great.LindaLNAPE###AOL.COM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey again, Also, do you find relieve with gas meds (GasX, phayzyme?). I do at times, but I think that if the "D" is about to strike, the meds made it worse (hard to say for sure)[This message has been edited by cher (edited 02-26-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, Lots of good suggestions here. I wonder, though, if any of you have problems initially adjusting to these above or other treatments? Thanks,Cher

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Wreaux, I started the Levsinex which is a timed release type and it helps with the cramping. I don't think it does one darn thing to correct the underlining problem of IBS. I keep thinking its a bacteria problem, at least for me. Or maybe nerves, I don't know. Good luck with the calcium, it didn't help me but might help you. I think it really helps people with gall balder problems. But I'm no doctor so I'm just guessing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts