Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading through the forums on this site and I'm thinking "wow I'm not alone!" I'm a 33 year old father of two, I'm athletic and in overall good health. Since about the age of 24 I have been suffering from IBS-C… because of my stubbornness I was just recently diagnosed, I put off going to the doctor for nearly 10 years and my condition is severe. I don't want to sound sexiest, or don't want to blame my manliness for being so(how can I put this)for being ashamed I guess, but I think it has something to do with it, so much so that I feel ashamed to talk about it with others, or even going to the doctor. I'm the stubborn strong type physically and mentally. Over the years while in those desperate moments I would breakdown and go to the hospital and they would treat me for constipation and send me home. I would never follow up to go and see a doctor. For years I had thought that something was Physically wrong with me, as in blockage, or something similar, maybe something wrong with the opening. As the years went on and my immatureness began to fade away, I came to terms with what I had to do and went to see a doctor. I was scared, and I hated it. It's difficult for me or men in general to trust a Gastroenterologists, but I found one that I have somehow found in me to trust. Well to make a long story short, I am one of those few men who have IBS-C. My life has been hindered because of this illness. I love sports, but can only participate if I plan it out by not eating about 6 hours or so before I play. The same goes for when I work out, or do anything really! Just going to the movies can be an ordeal for me. Lucky for me, I have a wonderful wife who is completely devoted to me and understands. We have been in love for many years, without her, I would not know what to do. I also suffer from anxiety and depression. For all these years, I never thought to associate it with ISB and the lack of serotonin uptake from the GI track and such. But lately I have been rethinking everything with all the new information that I have at my reach now, all because I now know that I have IBM. It all seems to make some sense to me now. Right at this moment, I'm a bit depressed. It's late at night, my wife is asleep, and I can't seem to sleep right now. But I have ways to deal with my depression. I don't let it effect other people, I usually just keep to my self and accept it, go with the flow rather then fight it. If that means less sleep, then so be it. I hate this illness. There have been times I have felt suicidal, like I was going crazy or something. I just could not for the life of me figure out what was wrong. There have been times that I thought I had cancer… times when I thought it was all in my head and caused only by stress… then there have been times in my life that I was suffering to such a degree that I could not work, or in to much pain to continue schooling… and of course times like now when I'm up late and can't sleep. At least this time I'm doing something different and reaching out, It's easy to hide behind this computer anonymously
However… keep in mind that I'm "real" that I understand this illness from the point of the sufferer, and that writing this for me makes me feel not so alone. Hopefully I can become apart of this online community and learn from all of you. To be honest, I have a thousand questions. Dan

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's easy to be a man and be ashamed and hide from an illness. I know I'm a man with IBS-D, so severe my doctor is throwing pills at me hoping one will stick. I'm 45 married and one son. I worked in construction for years, swinging from the steel used to be my thing. I had to quit my job due to a lot of accidents at work. 120 guys on the jobsite and porta pots isn't a good situation for me. By the way, Welcome to the site! I'm a newbie too. You don't have to hide or be embarrassed by having a problem. I've gone thru it all. I'm 6'4" 250 lbs. I don't consider myself a he-man, but I can take care of my own. I had to swallow my pride and get help. Good thing I did, it can turn into something that will kill you. Never take a chance with your health. I had a colonoscopy yesterday, my 4th in 5 years. I hate them but they will save your life in the long run. They found 3 polyps and took 2 biopsies. I joke with my doc when I'm nervous, he and I cut up all the time. We're about the same age. I'm laying there yesterday and say, "Well doc at least you're not a dentist, telling me to open wide! I thought everyone in there was going to loose it. I like to make them laugh, it lightens the mood. Finding a doc that will go out of his/her way to help you is tough. I love women and wish my doctor was a woman, but there is certain things women will never know about men. Doc takes pretty good care of me. Don't be ashamed of asking anything on here, nothing has been gained from not asking. I know about the D part but not much about the C. If you need a guy to talk to send me a message if you're not comfortable posting in the open.~Cherokee

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's easy to be a man and be ashamed and hide from an illness. I know I'm a man with IBS-D, so severe my doctor is throwing pills at me hoping one will stick. I'm 45 married and one son. I worked in construction for years, swinging from the steel used to be my thing. I had to quit my job due to a lot of accidents at work. 120 guys on the jobsite and porta pots isn't a good situation for me. By the way, Welcome to the site! I'm a newbie too. You don't have to hide or be embarrassed by having a problem. I've gone thru it all. I'm 6'4" 250 lbs. I don't consider myself a he-man, but I can take care of my own. I had to swallow my pride and get help. Good thing I did, it can turn into something that will kill you. Never take a chance with your health. I had a colonoscopy yesterday, my 4th in 5 years. I hate them but they will save your life in the long run. They found 3 polyps and took 2 biopsies. I joke with my doc when I'm nervous, he and I cut up all the time. We're about the same age. I'm laying there yesterday and say, "Well doc at least you're not a dentist, telling me to open wide! I thought everyone in there was going to loose it. I like to make them laugh, it lightens the mood. Finding a doc that will go out of his/her way to help you is tough. I love women and wish my doctor was a woman, but there is certain things women will never know about men. Doc takes pretty good care of me. Don't be ashamed of asking anything on here, nothing has been gained from not asking. I know about the D part but not much about the C. If you need a guy to talk to send me a message if you're not comfortable posting in the open.~Cherokee
Hi. Should I have a colonoscopy? I have this frequent bowel movement. I've read about the symptoms of ibs. I think I have IBS. Loperamide is effective with me. I take them everyday. but I'm worried about its long term use.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been reading through the forums on this site and I'm thinking "wow I'm not alone!" I'm a 33 year old father of two, I'm athletic and in overall good health. Since about the age of 24 I have been suffering from IBS-C… because of my stubbornness I was just recently diagnosed, I put off going to the doctor for nearly 10 years and my condition is severe. I don't want to sound sexiest, or don't want to blame my manliness for being so(how can I put this)for being ashamed I guess, but I think it has something to do with it, so much so that I feel ashamed to talk about it with others, or even going to the doctor. I'm the stubborn strong type physically and mentally. Over the years while in those desperate moments I would breakdown and go to the hospital and they would treat me for constipation and send me home. I would never follow up to go and see a doctor. For years I had thought that something was Physically wrong with me, as in blockage, or something similar, maybe something wrong with the opening. As the years went on and my immatureness began to fade away, I came to terms with what I had to do and went to see a doctor. I was scared, and I hated it. It's difficult for me or men in general to trust a Gastroenterologists, but I found one that I have somehow found in me to trust. Well to make a long story short, I am one of those few men who have IBS-C. My life has been hindered because of this illness. I love sports, but can only participate if I plan it out by not eating about 6 hours or so before I play. The same goes for when I work out, or do anything really! Just going to the movies can be an ordeal for me. Lucky for me, I have a wonderful wife who is completely devoted to me and understands. We have been in love for many years, without her, I would not know what to do. I also suffer from anxiety and depression. For all these years, I never thought to associate it with ISB and the lack of serotonin uptake from the GI track and such. But lately I have been rethinking everything with all the new information that I have at my reach now, all because I now know that I have IBM. It all seems to make some sense to me now. Right at this moment, I'm a bit depressed. It's late at night, my wife is asleep, and I can't seem to sleep right now. But I have ways to deal with my depression. I don't let it effect other people, I usually just keep to my self and accept it, go with the flow rather then fight it. If that means less sleep, then so be it. I hate this illness. There have been times I have felt suicidal, like I was going crazy or something. I just could not for the life of me figure out what was wrong. There have been times that I thought I had cancer… times when I thought it was all in my head and caused only by stress… then there have been times in my life that I was suffering to such a degree that I could not work, or in to much pain to continue schooling… and of course times like now when I'm up late and can't sleep. At least this time I'm doing something different and reaching out, It's easy to hide behind this computer anonymously
However… keep in mind that I'm "real" that I understand this illness from the point of the sufferer, and that writing this for me makes me feel not so alone. Hopefully I can become apart of this online community and learn from all of you. To be honest, I have a thousand questions. Dan
Good post Dan. I understand everything you say. I am 36-year old and have IBS-C too. Love sport, but have cut it right back. Anxiety, depression, OCD, which is undoubtedly linked. Look forward to talking with you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi. Should I have a colonoscopy? I have this frequent bowel movement. I've read about the symptoms of ibs. I think I have IBS. Loperamide is effective with me. I take them everyday. but I'm worried about its long term use.
Only your doctor can tell you if you need a colonoscopy. I've been on Lotronex for 3 years, but I have a rare form of IBS-D. I have yearly colonoscopies just to be on the safe side. I got to the point where I was taking 6 Immodium at a time, 3 times a day without relief from the diarrhea. I was miserable and going broke from missing work. Go talk to a GI doctor and see if they can help.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I spent 10 years living with IBS D before finding a treatment that works for me. While it is not a cure, it has allowed me to return to living a normal life. I hope you will be able to get that same level of relief from something others with C-type have used. Ask away and don't be afraid of Too Much Information. There is, presumably, nothing that you have experienced that isn't common to numbers of others.Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.