Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my story I'll be brief in bullet points to make it faster to read. I started have problems after taking Chantix two years ago to stop smoking.My husband took it at the same time and bloating is a side effect we both had though mine was worse. When we stopped the drug his went away, and mine did not. I am a thinish person and besides having IBC i was bloated looking in my face and body.Went to a GI who did an upper endoscopy who found only a small hernia and i tested negative for Celiac. He sent me home with nexium that did nothing. Though i may have mild acid reflux. Went to internist to tested again for Celiac again negative. He found my Vit D levels were very very low, and put me on prescription D. for three months. Then went to a nutritionist who put me on strong three month course of probiotics. She tested me for stool and alcan food allergies and said my stomach was taking 72 to digest food. I stopped eating the foods the test showed were irritating, i went on two or her three antibiotic courses and lots of vitamins she suggested. Still bloated and having IBD. Went back to internist and he suggested i see Pimenthal for a breat test. TWO YEARS after sobbing to him about my bloating, lack of energy, etc he mentions this. Went to Cedars and did H.Pyori breath test. NegativeTook Lactose Intolerance breath test: Negative Lactulose breat test: off the charts positive straight line to the top.I took two weeks of xixlifan. NO help with bloating and fatigue but my IBD got better. They put me on two more weeks of xiylifan and added minomycin. Again no relief. Spoke to my Dr. there (not pimenthal) who said he was frustrated the SIBO wasn't responding to the AB's and thought my next course should be two to three weeks of Vivonnex and possibly low dose eurthomyacin. I am wondering if i have missed tests to determine what is causing the sibo (other than chantix throwing my system out of whack). Is there a point to a colonoscopy when it's clearly SIBO? Should I have the GI motility test? I have read many people on here who are not helped by the AB's i took and also the Vivonnex didn't help them. It's very expensive and with two kids adn trying to work will be very hard for me to do. Not mention the only way i can usually function is with some coffee (low acid kona mixed with chickory). I want to present some options besides Vivonnex for him to try. Other AB's? Eurthomyacin on it's own? Since i stopped the AB's after the second course with no luck, I started taking Grapfruit extract about six drops twice a day. I still have night sweats and trouble staying asleep in the early morning if i'm bloated, I'm doing the pimenthal diet. I'm hoping the grapefruit see extract will work and have added glutamine in a powder after going through a bottle of the capsules. Trying to see if i can somehow reduce inflammation in my gut whether the bacteria are gone or not. Any thoughts or questions would be appreciated my appt is next week. Sorry for the misspelled drug names!Thanks so much!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.