Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone again. Hope all is well. I posted a topic a few weeks back with my symptoms, but can't seem to find it. Basically here's how the past week or so has been for me. During the morning and afternoon I feel mostly fine with an occasional, probably normal gurgle here or there. Any time I have to use the bathroom, which is maybe once during the day, everything is mostly normal, maybe even leaning toward slightly constipated, though not really bothersome. Then at night usually right before dinner the gurgling starts, and I notice that the area around my anus gets kinda moist. Anytime I have to use the bathroom at night, a strange cloudy discharge comes out with the stool, which is still mostly solid, but feels a little more wet, almost like it's in water. I maybe have to go twice at night before bed, and then don't have any problems again until the next night. This is pretty much how the pattern has gone for a week or two now. No other symptoms that I can tell, no blood, or much pain, just discomfort. Does this sound like IBS? Something more serious?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
jaboopEverything you mentioned is well within what one can expect from IBS. Not something more serious. I have noticed that you seem very concerned that what you have is not IBS but something more serious. You have mentioned this in nearly all of your posts. (You can find your own posts by checking your profile.. under the "Options" drop down arrow.)You also mentioned suffering from some health anxiety. I think that you may be well served by getting that anxiety treated. So why not talk to your Dr about it?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds like you have some mucus.That is very common in IBS.You are not complaining of any symptoms of anything more serious than IBS.If you are having some anxiety about your symptoms I do agree that getting help for that is important. Anxiety makes all symptoms of pretty much anything worse and IBS is good at setting of anxiety.It really sounds like the mild end of IBS to me. More serious than IBS cause things in addition to IBS symptoms, not fewer or milder symptoms than IBS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies BQ and Kathleen. I realize that I do have some anxiety over this, was treated for mild anxiety back in my sophomore year of college. It all went away, and over the last couple of months has seem to come back as health related anxiety. It seems to me that when my anxiety about all of this is heightened that all the symptoms heighten too. i plan on getting it all checked out if it persists for another month maybe, I just kind of wanted perhaps some ideas of if these symptoms, especially the strange cloudy stuff could be IBS. I hadn't been able to find anything about the discharge online or within the boundaries of IBS symptoms so that's why I was curious.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The cloudy watery stuff is probably mucus.Excess mucus is really common in IBS. It is not specific to IBS, but is common in IBS.Some people seem to find an antihistamine may help reduce that a bit (just like they reduce the trigger for releasing mucus in your nose, the body uses the same pieces parts over and over again in lots of places). So you could see if an OTC antihistamine helps with that, but it isn't dangerous, but if it is bothersome you might try that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.