Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've suffered from some form of IBS for years. I have many questions, as it appears my adult daughter may be going throught the same things. In looking at various posts here, I'm finding the general consensus is that those with IBS suffer most from diarrea. I almost never have diarrea, but rather a 'hard rock to sit on'. (a terrible seizing up and constipation) My colon problem has almost always parralleled my (irregular) periods, and I had severe menstral cramps before my pregnancies. Now, I'm beginning menapause, the colon trouble has lessened considerably, but the bloating is horrendous! My daughter has worse menstral cramps than I did, and it is now suffering similiar stomach symptoms. Now I'm wondering- is it really IBS? None of my doctors have ever been very helpful. Is there a pattern here, heriditary? I'm sorry if there's answers here already- I don't have much time. Thanks

G

·
There is something called "constipation predominate IBS" so I do not know why you decided that all IBSers have diarrhea.Zelnorm is a drug that is designed for IBSers who tend to only have constipation.Even woman who do not have IBS often have problems with GI symptoms around their period so your pattern is not unexpected.You have been being monitored for Gyn issues during your menopause? Ovarian diseases can cause bloating as well so that is one tack to take.Is the bloating relieved when you fart a bunch? Gas related bloating can be eased by reducing starches other than rice and some other carbs in the diet, or by taking probiotic bacteria. Bloating that is not gas related is sometimes relieved for some people by taking Digestive enzyme supplements with pancreatic enzymes in them. Prescription ones have been tested in clinical trial but some get relief with things found at health food stores (I have use Enzyme Digestant from GNC for bloating I get as a side effect from certain medication combinations)K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.