Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New theory for treating LG- make sense?

3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  administrator 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone!I had a long time research and develop a new theory for treating LG.- Based on an advice on a book to treat Candida yeast and acne by L.Acidophilus powder, it is very interesting there should be a chance to cure LG:+ The reason you have gas is because of the stool retention in the rectum which makes bacterial overgrowth there.+ Note that the reason you got acne because the pores trap dust, so dust retention is on your face.+ I could treat the acne with hydro-cortisone/anti-biotic successfully=> The treatment for LG is to use cortisone enema or antibiotics enema to flux your rectum.Moreover, you should maintain the good bacteria inside the rectum by insert cultured yogurt with high-potency L.acidophilus power into your rectum.You should clean your rectum everyday with enema with warm clear water to avoid stool retention.Hope it would be successful!

#2 ·
Hello Gastro-Scientist,I found your post interesting and on lines with what i feel i have
quote:I had a long time research and develop a new theory for treating LG.- Based on an advice on a book to treat Candida yeast and acne by L.Acidophilus powder, it is very interesting there should be a chance to cure LG:+ The reason you have gas is because of the stool retention in the rectum which makes bacterial overgrowth there.
I have an Anal Fissure as diagnosed by my doctor. Is this Candida yeast or some form of acne???
quote:+ Note that the reason you got acne because the pores trap dust, so dust retention is on your face.
How does dust retention on the face cause flatulence???
quote:+ I could treat the acne with hydro-cortisone/anti-biotic successfully=> The treatment for LG is to use cortisone enema or antibiotics enema to flux your rectum.Moreover, you should maintain the good bacteria inside the rectum by insert cultured yogurt with high-potency L.acidophilus power into your rectum.You should clean your rectum everyday with enema with warm clear water to avoid stool retention.
For my anal fissure, the doctor gave me an ointment and some kind of a tube to be inserted after stool.And i dont see any stool left on this tube after i remove it. Very rarely do i see some stool on it. So i dont think i am holding stool in the rectum. Do you think i am missing somethiong here???

#3 ·
quote:I had a long time research and develop a new theory for treating LG.
So where's the research?
quote:+ The reason you have gas is
Wrong, gas hasn't been established in LGers. They complain of it, sure, but do they have it, we don't know.
quote:because of the stool retention in the rectum which makes bacterial overgrowth there.
Also, wrong. There's no evidence of stool retention in LGers. And there is no such thing as bacterial overgrowth in the colon.
quote:+ Note that the reason you got acne because the pores trap dust, so dust retention is on your face.
What?

#4 ·
Yes there is evidence of stool retention or incomplete evacuation. I believe it was approx. 18 of 20 who answered a questionaire reported IE. If you are not completely evacuating, then you are retaining stool.Trolls should stay under bridges where they belong.

#5 ·
quote:If you are not completely evacuating, then you are retaining stool.
Stool retention is what the colon does normally, so what does that really mean?
quote:I believe it was approx. 18 of 20 who answered a questionaire reported IE.
All questionnaires here are meaningless since there are no criteria deciding what's constitutes the group doing the answering

#6 ·
quote:The group consisted of anyone who reported LG.
Which is exactly why it's bogus. What counts as LG to one person isn't necessarily what it is to another. There has to be a set of criteria for the complaints to qualify as LG and it has to tallied objectively by a person other than the person reporting it.People who are reporting LG are not all reporting the same thing. Some claim they pass gas without knowing it and that they can smell it whereas other claim they cannot. And the fact the only evidence for LG is from indirect evidence from the person suffering from it puts the whole condition's existence up in the air.

#7 ·
Leaky gas is just the name we've been using on this BB. There is no official medical term to describe our condition. Even in the list of functional bowel disorders, I have not been able to find a particular disorder that describes my condition, I kind of have a little bit of this and a little bit of that but never meet the full definition of anything. Actually, I was originially diagnosed to have irritable bowel syndrome but I don't have diarrhea, constipation, bloating, pain, cramping etc. Just gas odor and some annoying bowel symptoms of sputtering and rumbling. I even have some symptoms of TMAU in that I have the gas odor that I usually can't smell and don't feel gassy or even passing gas and someone can be standing right next to me and not smell anything and then the fan comes on and the odor is dispersed everywhere. I'm sure I don't have TMAU because my problem didn't start until I was 35 and I think it would be too much of a coincidence to have developed TMAU at the same time I developed annoying bowel symptoms, sputtering, rumbling, gurgling in addition to the gas odor. I don't think its so surprising to have people describe their symptoms differently ,its an individual thing. Look at the way people descibe their irritable bowel symptoms, some have C, some D, some have bloating, others have pain but they all supposedly have IBS. I don't believe that IE is the cause of LG. I feel worse when I do have what I consider to be IE and better after a BM, but I have the odor whether I feel anything unusual or not. Also I don't agree with the notion that we're hypersensitive to normal bowel sensations. I think there is something actually abnormal going on in the colon, for whatever reason. I frequently get very loud gurgles, growls, rumblings that everyone can hear and I'm not just hypersenstive to normal bowel sounds and this was never a problem before. ALso there's no all or nothing answers. If the question is can you smell your LG. It's not a clear Yes or NO answer. Most times I can not smell LG, for days or weeks on end, but put me in a room with a strong fan that circulates the air just so and then I can. There's another request for subjects re: IBS in Boston to which I'm going to respond. They'll probably turn me down again cause I don't meet their definition. Alot of us with LG don't have anywhere to turn because nobody's interested in our condition.

#8 ·
Hey, we're talking about retaining stool in the anus, not the colon.Our accounts do not have to tally up exactly. The questionnaire, as far as I know, sought to find common ground - which it indeed did - in order to help us better understand the problem and perhaps find ways to deal with it. There is a gi virus going round at work. With this virus some get vomitting, some nausea, some get D and others get all 3. Just because the symptoms are not all the same in everyone does not mean that certain people don't have the virus. Same with us. Not all our symptoms match up, but there are enough similarities for us to identify a common set of symptoms which we put under the label of LG.

#10 ·
quote:Hey, we're talking about retaining stool in the anus, not the colon.
In IE, the stool is in the rectum or sigmoid, but that's still the colon. And why does that matter? You have no defining criteria!
quote:Our accounts do not have to tally up exactly.
But they don't have criteria to decide who gets included and who doesn't. You're looking for the mechanism of an undefined condition and that makes no sense.
quote:The questionnaire, as far as I know, sought to find common ground - which it indeed did
The common ground is what you need before the survey begins.
quote:There is a gi virus going round at work. With this virus some get vomitting, some nausea, some get D and others get all 3. Just because the symptoms are not all the same in everyone does not mean that certain people don't have the virus. Same with us. Not all our symptoms match up, but there are enough similarities for us to identify a common set of symptoms which we put under the label of LG.
This is backward. The criteria for the gastroenteritis is not the symptoms, it's the virus. You're trying to compare a condition with a precise etiology and mechanism with a loose set of symptoms that may describe multiple conditions. The first step has to be delineating the different symptoms. But where that'd get you, I'm not exactly sure. Everyone's going to have to the "bubble" test to determine whether leaky gas is real, then everyone would have their oral, alveolar, skin, and flatus gases collected and analyzed qualitatively. That's really where you need to go.

#12 ·
quote:Everyone has gas so why not LGers? I don't have tons of gas, unless i eat things that cause it. But even then that gas is odorless.It is the wee amounts of gas that seep out slowly, that people seem to complain about.
The question is whether this is actually happening. What's the evidence? It's very indirect in many cases: the reaction of people in the immediate vicinity. So to begin one must establish a test, like the bubble test to determine whether LG is truly present. The bubble test would probably involve a person sitting in a bathtub of water on a few occasions for a few hours at a time and watching for bubbles and recording whether he or she felt the gas as it was being released. Not feeling it would establish that LG actually exists. Of course, if no gas is passed at all, it doesn't prove that LG does not exist, but it does question its existence.So a more appropriate questionnaire would be to ask subjects to undergo this test and report the results.

#13 ·
Why in God's name would you need to do a bubble test.Its pretty easy to tell in my case, I can smell it suddenly. No warning, no pressure to push it out. Just this nasty fecal odour that is there.And of course the people standing near me who ask "who farted"I think that is sufficient evidence that this is happening.

#14 ·
quote:I think that is sufficient evidence that this is happening.
No, it's not. If you didn't feel it, then there is no way to be sure exactly where it came from. It could just have come from your lungs or from the skin. The bubble test will prove it comes from the gut and the leaky gas is real phenomenon.So far, Trinity previously posted that she attempted the bubble test and during the test recorded no bubbles. That test isn't definitive. She just may not have been there long enough to record anything. If you know how often it happens, then you can prepare yourself for a long bath.
Don't forget you are trying to prove the existence of something the medical profession does not believe exists (or even can exist). You need to be very, very convincing.

#16 ·
I'm not sure a gas even at a slow release woud diffuse into the water fast enough it could never ever form any bubbles at all.I don't know what the cross over point for surface tension vs diffusion is but even in situations where I've seen awfully slow gas releases in water there has always been bubbles formed.K.

#18 ·
I can feel it, too...like this morning. I had a bm but I felt like it was incomplete. I had to be at the doctor's office to have blood drawn at 8, so I was not able to keep trying to have a bm. In the car on the way to the doctor, I could sense a small amount of gas escaping. I can sense it...just not 100% of the time.

#19 ·
quote:I do the bubble test every time I take a bath. I can feel the little bubble going up the crack of my butt. Plus I can feel it at othe times too. I know my body and know what I feel.
You need to see the bubbles for the test to count.
quote:I can sense it...just not 100% of the time.
That means the for the times you can sense it, you don't have LG and the other times, you don't have LG either because... you can't sense it. Make sense?

#21 ·
I can't see the bubbles cause they are in back of me and not fast enuf to to cause a whirl pool that would create a lot of suds.It is a slow leak. LG isn't even talked about in the science fiction books you read cause Leaky gas is just a phrase that was coined on this board. So don't tell me what I have and don't have.Go crawl back under your bridge.

#22 ·
quote:I can't see the bubbles cause they are in back of me
I'm not buying that. If you are lying to the back of the tub with your legs up, the easiest path is for the bubbles to go to the front of you and you'd see them.
quote:eek:t fast enuf to to cause a whirl pool that would create a lot of suds.
What? No bubbles = no gas

#24 ·
quote:you need to see the bubbles for the test to count
OK Flux, so who made YOU the test expert??And just WHY would you need to SEE the bubbles.How do you come up with these random thoughts? If people with LG says it leaks out very slowly and would not have sufficient pressure to create a bubble then thats the way it is!And why, just because you can sense it does that mean you don't have LG. Some people can sense it but have no control over it.Don't you get it??Why do you insist on arguing with everyone.Why don't you just go away somewhere and bother some other people.You are a freak.

#26 ·
quote:And just WHY would you need to SEE the bubbles.
To know they are there. That's the point of the test.
quote: If people with LG says it leaks out very slowly and would not have sufficient pressure to create a bubble then thats the way it is!
False. No bubbles = no gas
quote:And why, just because you can sense it does that mean you don't have LG. Some people can sense it but have no control over it.
That's not the same condition. People who have sensation have that as evidence that they have LG, whereas those who do not do not have any direct evidence. Their LG may not be LG at all. The gas may be from another source or there may not be any gas at all. The point of the bubble test is to determine whether there is gas from the gut. It's should be a foolproof as long as stay in the bathtub long enough and watch closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.