Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I have been reading many posts here over the last few days and decided to give it a whirl myself. I am a long-time sufferer of various stomach and gut symptoms, and am just now, at 40, realizing that I probably have IBS. No diagnosis yet - going back to my GP today for the 2nd time in a week for another discussion. I went last week on a day when I was suffering from nausea, cramping, and explosive D. I was kind of out of it, and wasn't very clear on my symptoms, and the fact that this has been going on as long as I can remember. I think he took me pretty seriously, tho. He ordered some blood tests - not sure what they were all for, but I know he tested my white count, liver something, and tested for h. pylori (sp?). He also ordered an upper-quadrant ultra-sound to look for gallstones, as I was experiencing a lot of pain in that area. All came back normal.Now that I have had a week to do some thinking and research, I am going back today better equipped to talk to him. I should be at work, but here I sit, at my computer, 10 steps away from the bathroom because I am having a pretty bad attack of cramping and D today.What I would like some advice on is this - what kinds of tests should I insist on? I am pretty sure he will want to do some GI testing to rule out stuff like IBS, colitis and Crohn's - he did mention last week that those would be some of the next things he would want to take a look at. Which tests do I really need, and what should I make sure he does? I have been seeing some stuff on the BB about testing for lactose intolerance (I suspect dairy is one of my triggers) - what is the test for that? Can they test for other intolerances fairly easily? What's involved in testing for celiac disease? Can they test for fructose intolerance? I know this is a lot of questions, but I want to be well-informed. Hopefully some of you out there see this today and I can get some responses before I go.BTW, my symptoms come and go - I can go days or weeks sometimes with not much - just a stomach ache and a little bloating after meals. But then it seems to "act up" for a week or more at a time, when it seems like I can't eat anything without feeling really sick. When I have attacks, it usually starts in the middle of the night with a gurgly, cramping feeling in my gut, and sometimes hellacious heartburn. Then by early morning, I am having watery, urgent diarrhea, sometimes going as many as 5 or 6 times an hour. This is usually accompanied by severe cramping, nausea, and sometimes chills and shaking. I have even come close to fainting on occasion. Another common time for attacks is after lunch, at work (fun). I'll eat my ususally very boring and bland lunch, and suddenly, about 30 minutes (sometimes sooner) I'll have to literally RUN to the nearest can. It can happen at other times, too, but these are the most common scenarios. I can't really link symptoms to any specific foods or circumstances. I don't generally suffer from constipation. Taking OTC stuff like Tums or Mylanta or Pepto usually doesn't help much. My doc told me to try Prilosec, even tho I told him heartburn isn't my biggest problem. I have been taking it for 9 days, with not much change. Maybe a little less burning in my stomach after eating.I'm really sorry this is turning into a novel!Anyone out there got any advice about where to go from here? I don't want to be waiting months to figure this out. I have been to doctors about this in the past (probably 15 years ago and more) and not gotten very far. Usually been told it's stress, or something I am eating - lots of vague and not very useful advice about drugs to try and foods to avoid. It seems like there is a lot more acknowledgement out there these days - maybe this time I will get the answers I seek.Thanks for listening (reading?). I have found reading entries on this BB to be very informative and empowering so far. I am not alone!!!!!Thanks to all of you for being here.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
silly me -"I am pretty sure he will want to do some GI testing to rule out stuff like IBS, colitis and Crohn's"of course I meant "rule out stuff like IBD"

·
Registered
897 Posts
Rather than go for more testing for my chronic, daily diarreha, I tried taking anti-anxiety meds. The D stopped in 48 hours. That told me it was anxiety related so I started seeing a psychiatrist, doing yoga and relaxation and taking Effexor XR which is both anti-anxiety and anti-depressant. Even under the biggest stress--like my father being rushed to the hospital day before yesterday with a possible stroke--the D did not come back. So amazing. Take care.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You need to have a few more test but it does sound like IBS. Probably a colonoscomy(sp?)Celiac tests are done by checking something in the blood and its not very accurate. The Lactose test is 3 hours long, you have to drink a small glass of lactose and then you breath into bags every half hour or so and the measure something in your breath. I'm not sure about the frutose testing. You should check out a site called eating for ibs, theres a ton of info and diet guidelines there along with medications available and test to be done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.