Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the group and thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Heather and I am 26. I have been dealing with IBS-D for 8 years. Just recently I told my doc and she prescribed me Levsin. All it does is either make it worse or make me sleepy. I am frustrated. She didn't run any tests (if there are any that can be done I have no clue) and I am somewhat concerned that I should have something done. Anyway, I actually stumbled on to this BB and I VERY glad I did. Please bare with me because I may ask some very dumb questions!
Heather

·
Registered
7 Posts
hello Heather, 8 years huh? has anything helped. I was diagnosed last summer and then it went away, but guess what, it came back but not as bad as it was last summer. I take dicyclomine and it seems to help but makes me even more 'spacey' than usual. Hope you feel betterDave

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
hi heather - welcome to the board, sorry you have t0 be here!what tests they run depends on your symptoms. I could see where if you've had this 8 years but are now being diagnosed, a doctor might do this based on just getting a catalog of symptoms rather than a lot of tests. I know that's how mine was done about 20 years ago. Like you. it had been a number of years until I finally saw somoene specifically for it and then my doctor knew it was IBS based on symptoms, especially in my case that I alternate between C and D (and in my case, the C is really often just an absence of anything for 3-4 days).I would keep working with the doctor. be clear that the medication isn't working - I know Levsin did little to help me. And read around the board for things that have helped others. Off the bat, I would highly recommend looking into calcium carboinate to help the D - a lot of people have gotten relief with this relatively simple thing. I think the huge thread on this started years ago can be found in the OTC forum (look in the Hop to box).oh, and there is no such thing as stupid questions. or embarassing ones! If you get nothing else out of this board, you will at least have found a whole lot of people who know EXACTLY what you are going through!nancy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS!! Oh yeah forgot to mention that I also have GERD along with it. I've noticed some on the BB that have GERD along with IBS there has to be a connection. I'm on Nexium for the GERD. I also have High Blood Pressure caused by Renal Artery Stenosis in one of my kidneys (the main artery in the kidney has narrow between 50-70%-for those who don't work in the medical field) so I am limited to what I can take. Zelnorm is definitely out-besides the info in the drug info book states that women that have diarrhea shouldn't take it! And it doesn't even work for men-poor guys! Can you tell I work at the same doctors office as my doc? You would think that as many time as I go to the bathroom that I would be 100 pounds by now! HA just the opposite. Okay I will stop rambling now.Heather

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
while zelnorm is for IBS C, lotronex for IBS D is available again. I don't know a lot of details because I am not able to take either since I get both D and C d'oh! but you might want to look into it. also, some people use anti-depressants or anti0anxiety medications - it seems to work even those without depression or anxiety disorders (which can go hand in hand with IBS but not always) because it regulates serotonin which is a major player in the regulation of the gut. pesonally, I think my serotonin is out of whack and also causes my headache problems - I am using hypno to try to regulate it. nancy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Heather26 and co, I thought I'd follow your lead and introduce myself as well as I am also a newcomer to the group. Although I have not been diagnosed with IBS as yet, I decided to join this site for information (and hopefully some support)as I strongly suspect I also have it. I concluded this following an embarrassing incident that occured today (which I may indulge in further under another chatroom heading). I have always had a fairly anxious disposition and this would interpret itself in early life as regularly needing to do a runner from assembly or class at school to 'give the brownies their swimming badge.' (I am only using euphemistic phrases because I am new to discussing the issue and a bit reticent, rather than not taking the subject seriously). In any case, off and on I have felt like a victim to the whims of my bowel movements. I have looked at my diet and realised I do not respond well to certain things and have cut these out as a result. However, the problem has remained. I decided to take action because I have become aware that this problem has, for a long time, been taking its toll on me running a normal life. I have found myself becoming increasingly socially isolated due to anxiety at 'needing to go' at the wrong times / places, and I am aware that I am continuing to cut down my options. There seems to be a direct link between my gut and my overdeveloped nervous state. I would appreciate any constructive feedback from similarly anxious types (aside from telling me to chill out and go and see a doctor). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
hi numbum (cute name)welcome to the board. we understand the euphamisms but feel free to talk openly. first, go to your doctor. while it could well be IBS, you need to be sure. don't be embarrassed to talk to him/her. he's heard it before I am sure - I know I've been pretyt frank about things. and then once you know it's IBS for sure, look into things to help. some of the things you said rang a bell. I for one have stress as a major trigger for my IBS. certain foods are more problematic but not predictable enough that if I just cut them out, everything;s fine. in fact, when things are going well, I can eat just about anything.I would strongly recommend looking at the hypno and CBT forum on this board. there are a number of us using these types of therapies to successfully treat our IBS - both the actual symptoms and the anxiety/thought patterns we've built up over the years.good lucknancy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Numbum!! From reading your post you do need to see the doctor. I was absolutely horrified to tell her but I had had enough. I won't tell you to chill because I've been told that so many times. Everyone thinks that if I chill out I won't have IBS. Well I've chilled somewhat and well IBS is still there! Hang in there. I have noticed what foods bother me and I try (try I say) to stay away from them. For me it's any tomato sauces (I LOVE ITALIAN
), anything dairy with the exception of yogurt
, lettuce, sesame seeds, corn, bell peppers, anything spicey, and brown soft drinks except Diet Rite. Just try to avoid anything that will upset your symptoms. Good luck!Heather

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.