Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had IBS for a little over a year now. My Gastro has done small bowel, many blood and stool tests, and a colonoscopy.I have been treated with a medicine that you put under your toungue I forget the name. I have been treated with Questran and Bentyl...Now my doctor wants me to try amitriptyline 10mg once per day with bentyl. I've started treatment this week.I'm curious if anyone else had tried this treatment and if it helped at all. Seems like he's starting with a very small dose!Anyway, any comments welcome.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Low doses of amitryptaline can be used to treat the pain of IBS. This dose is in the range used for IBS. For depression usually it takes 75-150 mgs, but pain relief doses (and it is used for migraines, lower back pain, fibromyalgia and other chronic pain problems) is in the 10-75 range.Generally the lower the dose you use the lower the side effects will be so they usually like to start low and up it only if they need to.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Low doses of amitryptaline can be used to treat the pain of IBS. This dose is in the range used for IBS. For depression usually it takes 75-150 mgs, but pain relief doses (and it is used for migraines, lower back pain, fibromyalgia and other chronic pain problems) is in the 10-75 range.Generally the lower the dose you use the lower the side effects will be so they usually like to start low and up it only if they need to.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts