Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this so still trying to figure out what I've got. Went to see the Doc because of severe abdominal pain, and he gave me a box of cereal. That night my husband had to take me to the emergency room with severe abdominal pain, vomiting, cold sweats, and fever. White blood count was 22.7 and I was really dehydrated, also had D and than nothing but blood. They keep me for 5 days on IV's and penicillin and was discharged when my white blood count reached 10. My doctor (which I don't want to see anymore) wants me back for a follow up in one week, thinks I just had a hemorrhoid. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced the same symptoms. ------------------[This message has been edited by heyluci (edited 04-29-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
heyluci - welcome to the bb. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Five days in the hospital and they think it was just hemorrhoids??? I'm a little surprised about that! Did they do any tests while you were there to rule out more serious stuff?? Did the doctor actually diagnose IBS? It doesn't sound at all right to me. At any rate, glad you are here. I hope this all works out for you!Kathy

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
heyluci,its me ba ba loo,i agree with kathy,hemorrhoid,na!sounds as if you had some sort of infection with your white blood count being high,did you eat out some place and pick up a bug from some food?charlie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trying to figure out how to do this. Nothing showed up as far as food poisoning, appendix, etc. Picked up the reports yesterday and took them to a gastro doc. He is going to see me monday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't eat any seafood, and also didn't eat anything at a fastfood restaurant. Still having abdominal pain, can't eat very much at one time.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Did you have any stool samples for enteric pathogens done? Shigella is a possibility.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flux,Yes, they did do the stool samples, and nothing there. Really feel as if it maybe IBS from what I have read. Have had two previous occurance but this time the pain was so bad, I couldn't stand it. I looked as if I just walked out of the shower...it hurt so bad. Have been having a lot of C for over a year. Not sure if my Insurance Company is going to cover this, but I don't care. My son's Gastro Doc said he would see me Monday. Luci

·
Registered
686 Posts
Glad to have you with us, but sorry to hear you've had such a rough time. What the blood bright red? That could well be from a hemorrhoid since you have C problems. Bright red blood usually means "new" blood from the sigmoid portion of the colon, either from hemorrhoids or diverticulitis. At least that's what I remember the gastro doc at M.D. Anderson in Houston telling my Dad. And, I believe, a high white count could also be from diverticulitis. Did you eat the cereal that doctor gave you and then start having pain within an hour or so? If so, and it was high fiber stuff, and you have been having C problems for a year, I would sure recommend that you read all the various posts on gallbladders and the CCK-HIDA scan. I don't remember ever ready anywhere that bleeding is symptomatic of just IBS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi LindaBThe blood was dark and my left side really hurt. Didn't eat the bran cereal due to the fact I was really feeling ill. Couldn't believe that other than blood test, urine, and stool cultures no other test were done. Stopped passing blood when the white blood count finally came down. I was just surfing and found this site. Everyone here is really great. I have read several postings and my heart goes out to everyone here. I really want to thank everyone. Will let you know what I find out. Thanks again. Keep smiling (don't know how to make the happy face) LUCI

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Sounds like an IBD. Crohn's or Colitis is most likely. They should have done an upper GI series and a baruim enema in the hospital or a colonoscopy. That was ridiculous!! I hope you find out soon. Here are some great IBD bulletin boards to go to: www.insidetheweb.com/mbs.cgi/mb331753www.insidetheweb.com/mbs.cgi/mb330438

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Nicol,Thanks for the info on the bulletin boards, will check it out. I also think that they should had done a colonoscopy. What was even more ridiculous was the box of cereal. I laugh about that one when I think about it. I have gone to the same doctor for 25 years and until now he has always listen to me - he knows I never complain unless there is something wrong. Have been told many times by him that "I really know my body." Time to move on I guess. Luci

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Luci - Let's see, dark blood, 5 day stay in hospital due to severe abdominal pain, vomiting, cold sweats and fever, THEN they do a few tests, ruled OUT food poisoning sent you home with a box of cereal and told you it was hemorrhoids. Have I got that right? I think the part that gets me, is that you were sick enough to be kept in the hospital for 5 days. They MUST have thought you had a severe infection due to the hemorroids. But the dark blood has me concerned. I thought hemorroid or fissure blood is normally red. It all sounds a little strange to me.How have you been feeling since this episode, Luci??? Have your symptoms gone away or gotten better??Kathy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heykateYou almost had it right. The box of cereal was earlier in the day from the doctors office. Everything else happen latter that day. Feeling a lot better today, still have pain but a lot better than it was. Don't think it is hemorrhoids, that is why I'm here and searching for info on any suggestions offered. Just found some good info on IBD and printed it. Hope that isn't what it is! Luci Luci

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Want to thank all of you for your help. NICOL, you should be a doctor.Really glad I decided to see a GI Doctor and he seems to be really a good one. All he did was take one look at the blood and hospital reports, and told me what he thought I had. What had happen that night was that I had a Iscemic Bowel Attact (which is a heart attact to the bowel). He also did a colonoscopy, which was not fun, I woke up during the procedure and it really hurt. I have IBD, now taking ASACOL and feeling much better. Have to go back tomorrow for my biopsy results.heykate[This message has been edited by heyluci (edited 05-26-99).]

·
Registered
773 Posts
heyluci: Good Lord, woman. YOu've been through some SERIOUS ####!!! What concerns me is the fact that you had a fever, and the white blood cells. Is this normal for IBS? I've never heard of that. What was your temperature? Is it possible that you had a flu and it triggered your IBS (if that's what you have)? I know when I get sick (or even my period) my IBS can get out of control. Just a quick comment... WHAT DOCTOR ARE YOU SEEING??? CEREAL??? I'd say time to look for a new doctor. WHAT is THAT about??? LOL! He could have given you a laxative or something if he wanted you to have a fiber increase!! I don't get that AT ALL. LMAO!Well, I'm glad you're better now (for the most part), but that's pretty scary. Feel free to e-mail me if you feel like venting. I'm a great listner.In the meantime.. Try to take care, and let us know how you're holding up (or should I say down? sorry... Couldn't resist. It's that IBS humor thing.. Gotta geep the humor!
)Spirit.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
heyluci I am sooo glad that they found out your problem. I know alot about IBD because I am being tested for it myself. Do you have Crohn's or Colitis? Do you have IBS also? You know, your white blood count, the blood in your stool, the fever and the pain are REALLY BIG signs of and IBD. Here are a few tips: don't take prednisone unless it is your last resort, too many bad side effects and there are other steriods. don't take remicade unless it is a last resort either because it causes lymphoma. You are really going to need to watch your diet now because even if something bother's you only a little, it will deteriorate your intestines. Please let me know your test results and visit those urls I gave you often.Take care.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, finially got the biopsy from the Colonoscopy. Doctor say's that I don't Colitis and I am now having test for Crohn's Disease. He doesn't want to pin finial diagnosis of "Crohn's" on me until all the test results are in his office. NICOL: How are your test going? Any news on the results yet? Hope your feeling better. Write me and let's compare notes. I checked out the chat boards you sent me and have really been searching the net for info. If you have any other good sites-send them to me, OKAY>>>THANKSLUCI

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.