Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there. my sister showed me this site, although i had lurked before. the only other message board i go on is a college football board, so this is new to me. i normally only discuss my stomach with my dr. and my dad (hey, he gave me all of this). anyway, i have had a bad stomach for a long time. i have tried lots of things. i have taken bentyl, levsin, levbid, back in the day i tool donatals and lomotils. it got to the pt though where it seemed only immodium was helping me. when i was going on a vacation and very worried about controlling my stomach, my gastro said that if i wanted to take immodium everyday, that was fine. i was not happy with that at all. so i went back to my old gastro (who i left cause he was so hard to get appointments with and get a hold of). anyway, he now has me on robinul and lexapro and also i am taking aciphex right now as i felt like the lexapro, or something was giving me acid problems on top of everything else. oh and i take fibercon twice a day. anyway, my trip went well, i was feeling better. so what did i do, i freaking ate stuff i am not supposed to, i tested the stomach, challanged it. and big surprise, last week, wed night, i had the worst stomach ache i think ever in my life. i was like having cold sweats and shaking and lying on the floor of my bathroo, praying for the pain to just hurry up and travel out of me. so i took and immodium that next morning so i could try and go to work. well, i missed work, and tried to rest all day with a heating pad. then friday i went to work, tried to eat very light, like saltines, and chicken and rice. and did not feel well. the dr. on sat told me to eat just crackers and toast and rice. i did. sunday, i tried to eat again, did not feel great, took a robinul monday before work (the dr. said to take every 4 hours as needed). i still stuck to plain stuff. tuesday night, i had chicken noodle soup, but heavy on the noodles and chicken, not much broth. but yesterday, i still was having pain, mostly gas. last night, i had pasta and chicken, plain. and today, i have terrible pain. but this is different, like when you get i think acid from taking strong antibiotics? and of course, now i am in need of immodium again, when i probably could have used extra fiber the last 3 days. but the dr. really wants me to stick to robinul and not take any immodium. so i am at work here, trying to stick it out and writing on this board to help calm me down, because of course the nurse never called me back. i am also supposed to exercise tonight, and if i go home, it is not near the exercise place. and i think the exercise will help me. so anyway, sound familiar. i just have had a rough week and i feel like there is no end in sight and the pain is pretty bad. i closed my door and was laying on my office floor (luckily i can do that). so any suggestions? any thoughts on what i should eat? i mean, i know it can take a while to get over an attack, but i thought i would be over it by now. only decent thing about it is the weight loss, but i hate losing weight in unhealthy ways. so i hope that was not too detailed. i left stuff out, i swear. but i am new to the board so i am not sure how gross people get.
thanks, ic

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Gross is OK here
Sorry you are having such a bad patch. Just don't get too cocky again
Heat on the belly may help (either a heating pad or if you can get thermocare, like the ones for menstrual cramps).Also trying to do what relaxes you and focus on this too shall pass and sort of send "good thoughts" to the belly can actually help quite a bit.If the pain keeps up and is really out of the norm for you I'd keep calling the nurse. Maybe something else went wrong (like gall bladder attack, food poisoning) that needs to be checked outK.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks kath. the nurse actually called a few minutes ago. she said to keep up with the robinul every 4 hours and also to take some gelusils (or maaloxx of whatever) and if i am still feeling bad tomorrow, i can go see a dr (my dr is away til monday). i am actually only holding out at work here for a couple of reasons, 1. it will take and hour and a half to drive home in rush hour
and 2. i am supposed to go to pilates tonight. i really want to go and like you said, i thought it would relax me and make me feel better, the exercise and stretching. we will see. pilates is at 7pm. so let's see if i can make it there.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
ibiscool,You may not want to take maalozz or mylanta or anything with magnesium in it this will add to the diarreha. If you send me your email I can send you in info on taking calcium carbonate to help with the diarrhea.Linda

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.