Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - this is my first day of being on this forum. I have been dealing with IBS since about 3 years ago after I found I had an intestinal back-up that was causing unretractable chest pain. Long story short, my IBS-C has been progressively worsening since. I feel that I have tried a majority of the tricks that people are listing on this site. I have tried prunes, raisins, figs which all only lead to a distended stomach and increased pain. I have tried colon cleanses that were approved for people with IBS-C and they don't work either. I can take multiple ducolax laxatives with not even the slightest BM as well as other stimulant laxatives that only give me stomach pain, no BMs. For months, I was relying on microwaving prune juice and gingerale in order to give me any relief at all. My BMs have become further and farther between so that now I am not going for at least 4-5 days at a time and even when i do go, I never feel satisfied after. I take 4-5 stool softeners a day, miralax 2-3 times a day, and align. Tried Amitiza, and even though it actually worked, I am allergic to it and had a serious reaction that isn't allowing me to take it anymore. This week alone I have gained 5 pounds in 4 days due to backup and bloating, and I am getting desperate.I have heard that taking magnesium supplements is supposed to help combat this problem. Is there any specific kind? What other natural supplements do people use that are safe to take on a long term basis? Help, I'm 24 years old, incredibly active, thin, eating healthy, but miserable because I can't seem to go to the bathroom.
Please help - any advice is welcome!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am new to this forum as well and I see that no one has replied to your post. My advise would be to start reading all the other posts that are out there and you will get a variety of advise from them. There is not one quick fix and from what I have read & experienced myself it takes a lot of time, patience, and experimenting with various herbs, natural aides, diet modification, and sometimes RX meds in order to get a grip on your IBS symptoms and even with doing all that - I am seeing that some are able to obtain relief and others (like me) are not. It may help to start a journal each day to record what you eat, what you have taken, your elimination, etc to try to help you find what works best for your body and symptoms. Good luck and God bless :) ~ PamelaP.S. - peppermint capsules help some people with the abdominal discomfort and there are others on the forum that take the magnesium to help with elimination - so start researching the other posts !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts