Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the group. I've had ibs-d since i was about 20 or so. apparently i can't eat certain carbs. unfortunately I am addicted to them. I get very painful cramping as well as burning on the bum and I almost always have diarrhea. i am seeing a gastro doctor who might be able to help but i might just have to accept that i can't eat carbs. I am really miserable with the pain. Anyone have suggestions of over the counter meds that help with the cramping? that is the worst part.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Carbs actually help me when I'm having a bad day. Thank God for crackers!! Sometimes that is the only thing that makes my stomach feel better. Can't help you with antispasmodics over the counter,except that some people use peppermint, others use certain teas, but there are alot of prescription ones that your doctor could prescribe. I have had very good luck with Librax. One of Bentyl's side effects is diarrhea. And dummy me took that for years!
I don't get that spacey feeling with the Librax also, and it seems to be fairly fast acting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Nickelpickle: You and I sound ALOT alike. I was using a high carb diet to fuel my running when all this started. I would have D for weeks at a time. Every time I ran you could hear my intestines burbling loudly and I would have pain for hours after a run. Through process of elimination and with the help of my naturopath I changed the way I eat. I consider myself to be intolerant to all grains (especially the glutenous ones, I've tried them all and have had negative celiac bloodwork). I went gluten free and still had D. Potatoes and squash, peanuts, cashews & pistachios (my 3 favorites!) all don't come out right. I eat meat (except pork...don't like it) fish, poultry, all other veggies (salad is no prob...I eat one every day), all other nuts and the occasional egg or 2. I'm better without fruit I have found, but still have some occasionally. I take a digestive enzyme with my meals because I have low stomach acid. I have my D under control eating this way and no more bloating or cramps. I have started running again without the sound effects...lol, and more importantly without the pain after. Getting off the carbs is hard... I felt like #### for a week, but now I don't live in the bathroom!! Good luck!Deb

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi, just be sure it is carbs that are actually the problem and not gluten which is found in most carbohydrate foods. Some people have gluten intolerance which makes them think they cannot tolerate carbs when in actual fact it's the gluten making them sick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.