Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I committed to run the London Marathon 2002 for Macmillan Cancer Relief as they have done a lot for my family especially my mother. I then started with the symptoms of IBS around October last year, after a few months of various tests they couldn't find any abnormalities and said that I had IBS. I have since got back into training for the marathon but have begun to notice that the longer I run for the more it upsets my stomach. I have done all the sponsor forms etc already and I really would like to do the run. Does anyone know of something that would help calm my stomach down during the run? I have considered Imodium as I use this when I travel long distances but I am not confident of being able to last the 4 hours the run will take.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Oh dear. How awful for you Firstly, may I say that I repsect you for having the courage to tackle this and not let it get in the way of your wish to run. I was not so confident when I first had IBS, and indeed even now I lack confidence when I get severe diarreah. Im often too afraid to leave the house!Anyway, I havent had much experience with tablets whihc last for hours and hours.... How long does IMMODIUM normally last for with you?If this tablet is DEFINATELY something that works for you, why not just take another couple in your pocket with you on the run? or is that impossible?Also, have you tried DioCalm tablets? they come in a 'chewable' chalkie tablet which you could put in a pocket on the run and maybe eat one every hour as you go so that you are confident you will be ok til the run is over?Does this help at all??! :love:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Oh dear. How awful for you Firstly, may I say that I repsect you for having the courage to tackle this and not let it get in the way of your wish to run. I was not so confident when I first had IBS, and indeed even now I lack confidence when I get severe diarreah. Im often too afraid to leave the house!Anyway, I havent had much experience with tablets whihc last for hours and hours.... How long does IMMODIUM normally last for with you?If this tablet is DEFINATELY something that works for you, why not just take another couple in your pocket with you on the run? or is that impossible?Also, have you tried DioCalm tablets? they come in a 'chewable' chalkie tablet which you could put in a pocket on the run and maybe eat one every hour as you go so that you are confident you will be ok til the run is over?Does this help at all??! :love:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice I will try that when I am training to test for any difference. The Immodium usually lasts for a while but seems to take sometime before it starts to work. I am just going to try and test with things and see how I go. My confidence is ok but I have had many weeks of sitting indoors with a bad dose of D, yesterday was my latest but these things do happen and it could be worse, or thats how I look at it.Thanks againSimon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice I will try that when I am training to test for any difference. The Immodium usually lasts for a while but seems to take sometime before it starts to work. I am just going to try and test with things and see how I go. My confidence is ok but I have had many weeks of sitting indoors with a bad dose of D, yesterday was my latest but these things do happen and it could be worse, or thats how I look at it.Thanks againSimon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.