Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed for IBS back in Feb. of 09. Everytime after I eat I bloat up like I am pregnant and get this horrible pain right between my ribcage. I am 32 and I only weigh 90 lbs. I have tried everything and no matter what I do it doesn't seem to ease. Lastnight I ate creamed corn...a big boo boo! This morning I noticed when it came out whole it was red, I am scared and don't know why. Like I said I am new to this my Dr. tells me nothing b/c I don't have insurance. All she did when she diagnosed me was...I told her my symptoms and she said it was IBS, no other tests. I go all the time and it doesn't matter what I eat or drink and it is always like water. If some1 could please give me some help I would relly appreciate it. Thank you!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
corn coming out the way you swallowed it is normal. If you don't grind it up enough with your teeth nothing else in the GI tract will grind it up.Red could be blood, but bright red tends to be from a hemorrhoid or fissure and a lot of diarrhea can irritate those enough to bleed. If the individual corn kernels were red I don't know why that would happen but some colors can be changed in the GI tract by the pH changes (purple food dyes often come out grass green, for example). If you also ate beets those can make the stool quite red as well as anything colored red with dye.If you think it is bleeding you should call the doctor back and see about getting seen. That is not IBS, but it may not be anything serious. If your hemorrhoids or fissure is bleeding a lot there are prescriptions they can use that may help it more than over the counter treatments.Have you tried Imodium to control the diarrhea?If it is severe try taking a dose 30 minutes before a meal, especially if you have diarrhea after meals. Start low and work up to a dose that seems to control thingsHave you tried Calcium Carbonate for the diarrhea?Have you tried peppermint tea 30 minutes before a meal to see if that helps the bloating?Have you tried small frequent meals rather than avoiding eating for as long as possible? (300-400 calories every 3-4 hours).Have you tried digestive enzymes with pancreatin in them at the start of the meal to help with the bloating? (so not just papaya or pinapple enzymes, one with pancreatin in them).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have tried anti-diarreha meds. didn't work. And, it was just the corn kernels that were red???

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I've never had corn change color, but if they added some sort of food dye (do you still have the label) those dyes can do some strange things in there.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
April try taking imodium with or before meals to prevent Diarrhea. Also have you tried the Calcium Carbonate supplements?? Many have found that they firm up D. See Linda's Calcium thread thumbtacked to the top of this page.

·
Registered
311 Posts
what a lot of people think of as normal, food coming out like it went in, is wrong..........it may b normal for oh so many, but it means food is not being broken down the way it's suppose to......when thing r right ib the stomach, things get completely broken down........the bloating & the corn coming out the same, is from u not having enough hydrochloric acid (HCl) production..........i suffered with this & much more, for over 6yrs...........it was the worst thing i've ever been thru..........only my stomach never got back to normal in those 6 yrs.........i'm not going to write the same things i've written many times..........read my other posts, they explain everything..........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts