Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Please help! I'm being treated for IBS (awaiting final diagnosis from hospital) but all symptoms lead to IBS. I've trawled the web and still no further forward. I'd let help with what food I should or shouldn't be eating ... I'm a bit scared to be honest. Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes diet helps, sometimes it makes no difference at all.There is no one size fits all diet.Some things to look out for.If you tend to diarrhea, sometimes too much starchy foods can be a problem, and a lower carb diet can help.Others with diarrhea tend to have problems mostly with greasy/fatty foods and have to limit that more than starch.High sorbitol foods (some low carb processed food as well as raw stone fruits (anything with a pit like a peach), apples and pears and cherries can loosen stools. But if you are constipated you might want to eat those fruits.Some people with gas and diarrhea have problems with lactose or fructoes, but that is not universally true, some people get that from starches.Alcohol and caffiene bother some people.Small frequent meals (sometimes no matter what they are made of) may help more than limiting this food or that food.You may also need to look at how much fiber you eat and see if there is a level that helps (may be higher or lower than what you typically eat now).For a lot of people they spend all their time on diet modification and get very stressed out and fearful of food when it makes no difference and the stress and fear is worse for them than any food would ever be.You may also have to look at physical stressors other than food. Are you sleeping well, exercising enough but not too much, weather conditions (which you can't do much about, but if you know spending a lot of time in the heat or cold sets you off you can be prepared).

·
Registered
55 Posts
When it comes to IBS there is no size fits all when it comes to diet. I would start out by elimiating dairy and then wheat. If that doesn't help I would try a low-carb diet. I found that a low carb diet helps with my symptoms. I happend upon it by mistake when I needed to lose a few pounds. I tried the Atkins diet and found that it really helped my IBS symptoms. Being a carb lover though I just *hate* that diet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For a lot of people they spend all their time on diet modification and get very stressed out and fearful of food when it makes no difference and the stress and fear is worse for them than any food would ever be.
Kathleen, thank you so much for affirming what I learned through experience. I spent 4 months on the eating for IBS diet, and while I'm sure it helps some people, I did not feel better, and in fact, I felt extremely stressed about food all the time. I went back to eating normally and realized that diet has little to do with my symptoms - just the act of eating triggers symptoms. Anyway, you have a very balanced view of IBS and I appreciate your comments to others because they help me as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.