Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I started having IBS syptoms around this past May/June...I had a colonoscopy to rule out anything else...its pretty much now an IBS life I live (and its NOT fun). I was told by my doctor to drink metamucil everyday but about a month or 2 ago I got pretty lazy and stopped...my IBS is so inconsistent sometimes I am in the bathroom once a day and others like 5 times a day...I have all of the lower abdominal pain with cramping...I am soo gassy (its TOO embarassing). It's like I shouldn't eat a damn thing sometimes. I would like to know what foods i CAN eat and which i SHOULD eat. It is very difficult for me because I am such a foodie...I love all and any food! Hope some of you can give me some advice!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hi JS and welcome
I cut all dairy out of my diet and fatty foods, pretty much any thing nice
I am like you new to this, its just trial and error, sorry i couldnt help more

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Welcome JS and Hope!
Foods don't "cause" IBS, though you can be very sensitive to some foods and once you have an attack, that food can become a "trigger." If foods were the sole cause of IBS, everyone would just stay away from the exact same foods and be fine, but we know that some people react to one food one day and not the next and that it can vary between individuals.But that said, it is a known fact that foods high in fat can cause D symptoms in IBS folks and non-IBS folks alike! I had tried several diets and none worked for me because there wasn't any consistent pattern to my food reactions, except for a few which I avoided. Now I can eat those foods too (nuts and popcorn were my no-no's! and now I eat nuts every day.)If you really want to investigate the foods/IBS diet route, you can look at ...com as that diet has helped folks with food issues. But not all food issues are IBS, so it can be confusing - food intolerances and allergies are not IBS, though you could have them alongside IBS! Lactose, gluten intolerances, etc. are not IBS in themselves but can certainly cause IBS symptoms. If you eliminate them from your diet and your IBS symptoms have stopped, you may not have had IBS!Feel free to ask questions - there are lots of nice folks here to help and support! Over the years I have read a lot on IBS, and it can be overwhelming when you first start reading about it!I have had IBS since 1983, and you can take a peek at the links below for what worked for me - doesn't work for everyone, but it was a last resort for me as I was housebound and nothing else worked.Take care, and again, welcome!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.