Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone;I am new to this site, and I had two feelings when I joined. One, I felt relief that there were so many people like me. And, two, sadness that so many people are like me!!
I have had IBS-D for about 8 years now. I am a 42- year old female, happily married, and have a 15-year old daughter.I have been on several different antidepressants. The very first one I tried was Zoloft, in combination with Bentyl, and was amazed at how well that worked. I felt almost normal. Unfortunately, as with all things, good things must end! Currently, I am on Cymbalta 60mg. We went to a 90mg dose, and that definitely worked better, but the nausea I experienced with it everyday made me cut back to the 60. I take Percocet at night, with close supervision from my Dr. The Percocet is a definite help, but this past week, I seem to have slipped back into my 5-8x a day bathroom trips. What a drag! It definitely gets frustrating. I realized when I had herniated a disk in my back and was taking the Percocet for pain, that going to the bathroom was a little more normal and brought it up to my Dr. Thankfully, she is the type that believes in doing what it takes to get a person's life back. Just wanted to give a little bit of history of myself and hope that I can offer something to anyone else on this site and find comfort and suggestions for myself.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Jannybitt,Welcome to the board. First the Percocet can cause constipation and this may be why it helped with the back pain and the diarrhea. You can also try to take the calcium carbonate with the info above and this too is constipating but taken at intervals over the day can help control the diarrhea. Read some of the postings above about the calcium and if you want to try it and need help just email me or post and I will check back.Linda

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I've never heard that taking calcium can control diarrhea. After taking 4 immodium today and still going 2x after that, I'm happy for any suggestions!

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Jannybitt,Calcium carbonate is constipating because it soaks up excess fluid in the intestines and thus helps to firm up the BM. Read the Calcium instructions at the top of this page or send me and email and I will send you the info.It really works.Linda

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.