Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had IBS for almost 4 years. I am currently in a long severe bout of IBS. My stomach bloats no matter what I eat, or how much I don't. It bloats as soon as I go from horizontal to vertical. At times I look 8 months prego. Does anyone have any advice or to reasons why the bloating is so bad??!! My lower back is killing me

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes it is just that the colon is tender and the belly will relax out just to take the pressure off. If you have a lot of colon tenderness taking something for that (antispasmodics or low dose antidepressants) may make it so you can actually pull the tummy mucles in a bit. If you can't use them to support your core that could be why the lower back hurts. It is doing all the work instead of just some of it.Some people find a digestive enzyme with meals will help some with bloat, but that tends to be more after meal bloat than all the time.You are getting regular female checkups? Typically bloat from gynecological issues tends to be more likely to be all the time no matter what than bloat from IBS which can be a bit more likely to come and go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. I do get yearly exams from my Gyn. I take a probiotic the my GI Doc recomended. It has 50 billion cultures. I am trying not to eat because everything bloats me out even more. With rest it gets better, but it never completely goes away.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
not eating isn't a good long term solution. You can only keep that up for so long.Try digestive enzymes (get ones with pancreatin in them) and take at the start of the meals and see if that helps. The prescription ones were able to prevent bloating from a meal that would make anyone bloat.Sometimes small frequent meals (even if 200-300 calories) every few hours works better than starving yourself for as long as possible before eating. The GI tract reacts to every meal and typically there is a bigger reaction the longer you wait to eat, and the bigger and fattier the meal. Usually if someone has starved all day eating a 200 mini meal isn't what they will end up eating, and the over eating then makes them very uncomfortable which then makes them wait even longer to eat the next time.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bloating is difficult to deal with. I was having a pretty severe problem a few months ago (was also distended like you say looking pregnant) and lost about 5 or 6 pounds in 2 weeks from not eating enough. Mine was the result of bacterial though, and the bloating did stop once I took another course of antibiotics. I've recently had intermittent bloating, but nothing like what it was. Might want to rule out a bacterial overgrowth if you haven't already...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts