Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to this forum and have suffered from IBS D for some 6 years now. I am fairy lucky in the sense that I have only a few IBS episodes a month. We were on vacation and I had the most severe episode to the effect that every time we went out for dinner I had to go to the bathroom at least 4 time after dinner. I have been wearing adult briefs for the past 2 years and although I hate them they give me certain freedom and confidence to go out. Most recently I have started leaking a bit (not a bowel movement) not a lot but I need to use a pad to catch it, I have a appointment with y doctor for next week. Have anyone experienced this? Thanks for the forum it is great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also new to the forum, My GI treated me twice for bacteria. Once with Flagyl and now with Alinia. I don't know if it is from the alinia or IBS. I have had my gallbladder out in 2007. I don't have watery Diarrhea just loose stools... I am so frustrated. I am only 39 and I don't understand how I could just develop this

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Kryan,Have you been diagnosed with IBS?Some folks find using Calcium Carbonate helps firm up their BM's.See "Linda's Calcium" Thread for more info on that. (That thread is thumbtacked to the top of the Diarrhea forum)
I don't know if it is from the alinia or IBS.
I am sorry I do not know what you are asking here.. You don't know if what is from the IBS or Alinia?? The loose stools?? Or what?? Because one could have loose stools while recovering from giardia or other GI infections. But tell me what you meant.
I don't understand how I could just develop this
Well sometimes infections in our guts can cause damage to our enteric nervous systems which in turn can impact how our GI tracts function (Or NOT function as the case may be). There are many folks here with Post infectious IBS. You said you were treated for "bacteria". That tells me you must have some sort of infection.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Anything that alters the normal bacteria in the intestines can potentially contribute to IBS. However, what interests me is that you had your gallbladder out - Sometimes this can cause diarrhea related to the bile salts. You might want to ask your doctor about potentially taking questran, which binds those bile salts and can decrease the diarrhea. It might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for answering so quickly! I will defiantely ask my dr about taking questran. BQ - Alinia is the anitbiotic I am taking, I finish today. They weren't sure if I had a bacteria infection. They wanted to try this first before diagnosing me with IBS.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well I'm thinking your Dr may not have wanted you to take any thing like Questran (powder) or Colestid (pill) until after you were done with the antibiotics. Now maybe they will want to re-do the stool tests first.. to make sure you have no infections for sure, (and maybe they won't) but go ahead and ask about them.Also the calcium carbonate is something Over The Counter and easy to try so don't discount that.Have you had any other testing done?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Kryan Well glad they ruled out quite a bit then for you then! So let us know how you do with the Questran/COlestid or Calcium if you try them. Glad you are only flaring 1xor2x's a week then... that's good. Let's hope it stays that way or lessens!Hope you feel better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.