Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I found this board searching for info on IBS. I haven't been diagnosed with it but believe it may be the cause of my problems. We had been for a long time without a family doctor (hard to find them in Canada)and last year I finally found one who would take us in. He is an old doctor and doesn't seem to listen too well. I was having "female" problems at the time and seemed to always have lower back pain during the week and half before my period and sometimes throughout the course of it. I thought this was due to that but this has now started to occur more frequently. I never thought of IBS causing this pain because, for one I didn't know much about it, and secondly I thought it was stomach pain that you got. Anyway, for my question...could the back pain be caused by IBS? I have had constipation for a couple of weeks (I am not one to have bm's everyday, thus the reason for leaving it so long). The pain got worse until I finally had a movement. But the next day the pain was back again in full force. Last night I took a laxitive and although the pain is still there somewhat, it has diminished a lot. I currently need to try and find employment but without knowing the cause of the pain, not to mention the fact that the pain takes over my life, it is rather hard. So any guidance you can give me would be so very much appreciated! I have an appointment to see the doctor on monday so would like to be prepared! Thanks again!!Sweetharmony

·
Registered
244 Posts
welcome - i'm new as of yesterday - but finding so much information and support! i have experienced lower back pain as well and i haven't quite linked it to ibs - but i have ibs/d (diarrhea). so glad you found a dr, but you should keep looking for someone a little more in tune with you - and then hopefully a working diagnosis will follow! i know it's hard thinking about work/money/etc when you are going through this - i'm currently on short term disability and i was to return to work yesterday, but it hasn't happened, heck - i don't know if they even want me back! it sucks, there is a lot of stress not only physically but mentally. read and post often, these people know there stuff and hopefully in the end we'll all be "cured"! wouldn't that be great????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome ebbie! I have been looking for a doctor for over 5 years now and this was the only opportunity I could find, unfortunatly. I had a wonderful doctor before that but he left family practice to be an ER doctor. Since then I had been going to a clinic where it was always a "quick fix" and you waited hours to see someone. You couldn't even call and ask the results of tests you'd had because of the amount of patients seen in a day. It always made me wonder if negative results were overlooked because of this. I also forgot to mention above that I do have the severe bloating as well, especially after dinner. I am trying to read as much as I can so I am prepared but I can see this doctor handing me a prescription and saying "try this" without actually diagnosing anything. Hopefully this won't happen though. Thanks again for the nice welcome!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
sweetharmony
i wouldn't be surprised if the back pain is due to ibs...but i don't know if this is a 'known' symptom of ibs...anyone else know? eric? bonnie?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts