Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone my name is Mike, im 19 and Ive suffered with IBS for around 10 years. Im so frustrated and upset, I dont know what to do anymore. It seems to be completely controlling my life. My doctor wants to try a small sub therapudic dosage of Prozac but my parents are really concerned about it because theyre against anti depressants and dont wana see me turn into a zombie. Does anyone have any advice or any experience with the anti depressants? Any other medications or techniques that have helped you controll your IBS symptoms? Thanks- Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Mike, i'm Kelly, i'm 22. I was diagnosed with IBS last year, i'm on amitriptyline at night, which is an antidepressant and it works ok, but u have to chage what u eat and the things u do. I have to watch my diet, so no fizzy stuff or fatty foods etc... I also can't drink alcohol, so it sucks big style, as i'm at uni and its not nice when your mates go out drinking. Never mind i cope. I'm sorry to hear that your having a bad time. I understand what your parents mean about pills and stuff, have u tried herbal remedies like peppermint, or anything that helps digestion? Anyway hope u feel better soon.Kelly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Mike,I'm also 22 and take amitryptaline at night. I've been taking this medication for over 5 years now (for chronic pain prior to IBS), and while it takes a few weeks to get used to the sedative effect it can have, i definately wouldn't say i'm a zombie. I'm at uni as well, and if i were a zombie wouldn't be able to function. Plus there are lots of different anti-depressants out there, so you can shop around a bit because they all have different side effects for different people.kelly - i'm the same, no alcohol or fatty/fizzy foods/drinks.... it sucks, but its better than being really really sick all the time.Take it easy,Shelley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it seems ive tried just about everything but the anti depressants. Ive completely changed my diet and found most of my "triggers" which seems to be most of my favorite foods and drinks unfortunately. Ive tried alot of herbal things, teas, fiber suppliments and all that. I currently take levison for really bad attacks but I really need something for the day to day pain and symptoms.I heard Accupunctor does wonders so I may try that too. But I plan on starting the Prozac as soon as possible.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Mike....My name is Megan, Im 19 and also suffer with IBS....Im sorry to say that I dont have any advice for you....as i am still waiting and wondering each day for answers. But I wish you luck in "getting to the bottom of it".....It's a hard stuggle....but I guess someone has to get it...right?take caremegan

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Welcome all!!Since you are all young adults, you may want to check out that forum - http://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/frm/f/74410261 Nikki who is just a tad bit older than you, is the forum moderator.Also, take a peek at the links below - many young people have found help with this treatment option - one young person was away from school for 2 years with IBS and was helped.Let us know if you have any specific questions - and all the best to you!
-----------

·
Registered
348 Posts
To all our new membersAs well as searching and reading on this site I would suggest you go to www....com. The lady who has set this site up is herself a sufferer - there are many good recipes, food advice and very active bulletin boards. Judith

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Mike - FYI I have been on Prozac and Paxil and in now way did I ever resemble a zombie. The "mind-altering" effects of antidepressants have been blown way out of proportion.I was prescribed imipramine (Tofranil) for my severe esophageal spasm, which also worked very well for my IBS - really reduced the frequency and severity of the diarrhea and cramping. The only thing I didn't like about it were a couple of side effects - chronic dry mouth and difficulty sweating.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mike04Taking anti-depressants will NOT turn you into a Zombie - please reassure your parents!! I worked as a medical secretary to a Consultant Psychiatrist for 7 years and I also have personal experience of a.d. Anti-depressants can be helpful in trying to control ibs symptoms.Unfortunately it appears than no one thing will control/ease ibs and we need to try different things to see what helps. Personally, I have been living with this for over 30 years and now thankfully there is much more help around. I take a soluble fiber supplement daily and also an Acidopholus capsule daily - both these supplements have helped me obtain some stability. I would encourage you to try things but you must give it time. Sometimes I think people give up too soon. I would say it took me almost six months to obtain the improvement from taking the soluble fiber.Judith

·
Registered
557 Posts
hia, well ive had anti depressants before but i never really took them and the time i did they were only very mild so i dunno i didnt stick at it, im not a lover of anti depressents as i feel they only act as a temporary thing and dont actually work at the reason behind taking them in the first place. my comment is more on acupuncture as ibe tried it for a long period of time and to be honest i didnt think it did anything, but then again my acupunturist did suggest i change my diet and mentioned trigger foods and such so i guess if i had done all that and then gone with the acupuncture it may have worked.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I take Remeron and Paxil. I had felt like a zombie for the first 2 days when I started Remeron and after that I was fine. Even after starting paxil with it, no zombie feelings.The only time I feel like that is I don't stay active. Just sitting around reading and being lazy, that's when I feel like a zombie. I am high strung an need to keeep busy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Much as I am a fan of it for certain things, Acupuncture can take a loooonnnng time to work. There are also some things it *doesn't* work on. Each thing to its area where it can help the most...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.