Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to these boards and came across them when googling symptoms. I have no idea if I am in the right place, but here goes!Last Oct. 2009 I was hit with what I thought was a horrible bout of the stomach flu. I had 2 weeks of non-stop diarrhea, couldn't keep anything in me for long without it passing through quickly. I was losing a pound a day and was very scared and anxious. Which Im sure didn't help my symptoms and weight loss. I felt horrible; heavy stomach sensation, nausea, no appetite, gurgling, etc. but no fever the entire time. My husband finally took me to the ER after us both being scared I had cancer! I had lost a total of 30 pounds! The ER staff did a CT, which came back normal. Blood panel was normal, stool culture for H pylori and parasites all normal. They sent me home w/diagnosis of diarrhea and referred me to a gastro doc and said I needed a colonoscopy. Things would get better stomach wise and then go back to feeling like I did before. I couldn't get a gastro appt until Jan. I went to my family doc while waiting for the gastro appt. and he sent me in for a pelvic/abd ultrasound and MORE blood work...all came back normal but I was low low low on vita D. Long story short..I finally saw my gastro doc, they did a colonoscopy and a endoscopy...both were fine. No polyps, cancer, H pylori, Celiacs, diverticulitis, etc. The gastro doc diagnosed me as post infectious enteritis with IBS. Due from eating contaminated food?He said I could have up to a year of symptoms....it's now May and I am getting the same symptoms back again! Stomach feeling heavy...nausea...appetite that comes & goes...gassy.. Has ANYONE gone through this? If so, can you shed some light on what I can expect? is something bad wrong with me? HELP! and thanks! I am also a 44 yr old female and was also told that it could possibly be perimenopause too!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome to the forums.Well, good thing is, youve had a ton of tests to rule out quite a few different things. Now you need to try different things that works with IBS. Have you tried any Probiotics? If not, I would start there. Also, have you kept a journal of foods that bother you more than others? Thats another important one to try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi..thanks for the reply. yes, I take probiotics. Some times they make me feel better, other times not so much. I have watched certain foods. Again it's a hit and miss. One day a food may bug me, the next not! I can't keep up! It's all confusing. I can't understand what could be going on. I know I have horrible allergies and a doctor told me that allergies and sinus infection can reek havoc on your stomach. All the post nasal drainage going down. I guess I will call my gastro doc again and see if he can shed some light on this. It hits me harder in the morning, it seems. Wierd!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yea mornings are rough for IBS people. As Kathleen always states, our colons are waking up and are ready to go. So pain, D, or any other symptoms we have may be charging hard first thing in the AM. It differs from person to person, but I know mornings are the worst for me. But generally after a BM my day is close to normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.