Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :) I'm very new to IBS, like a week old kind of new, and I'm still a little paranoid that it's not the correct diagnosis. Although that could be put down to health anxiety. I realise you aren't doctors but I've seen you all like to help and advise people and I need some of that kindness!

So I've been told it's IBS-A, and I have all the obvious symptoms, but the one I was most worried about is how tender my abdomen is, especially around the right side. Between my ribs and my pelvis on the right side of my body almost makes me flinch sometimes. If you push my stomach any part of my middle to lower with small amount of pressure it feels like a deep muscle pain, which also happens in my back on occasion. I was wondering if this is a usual symptom as my Auntie (who also has IBS) says she doesn't suffer with this. I apologise if I sound ridiculous I'm just a panicking idiot in need of reassurance!

Also wondering if this could be connected to fibromyalgia as I get achy and tender muscle pains all over my body and I've read (on google, which is the worst thing to do with symptoms as a hypochondriac) that fibro and ibs can come as a package deal!

Anyway, this has turned into an essay, but if anyone could help me it would be much appreciated! Thank you :) x

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The amount and specifics of the pain and discomfort vary from person to person, but IBS causes pain and discomfort. A lot depends on how much overall tenderness you have and what all triggers your pain.

Yep, people tend to have both more often than you would expect if by chance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well although I am still waiting to be properly diagnosed but I also have upper abdominal tenderness, for me it is in the middle just below my sternum and sometimes to the left and right. Like you if feels like deep muscular bruising, some days, well some weeks are worse than others. The only test I have done so far is a upper abdominal ultrasound and that didn't show anything.

For me it is only sore if I am standing up, if sitting I don't feel any pain, if I stand up and relax and puush out my stomach it is agony. I don't think what I have is to serious as it has been happening on and off for about 6 years without getting any worse.

What tests have you done? Ultrasound to check for gallstones?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got another ultrasound in a few weeks to check for an inflamed gallbladder as they said that could causing be some of my pain.

Yes I'm the same, some days are far worse than others, on the bad days I could be poked in the arm and be in pain with it for the next three or so days. The doctors are awful down here though, about a year ago all they diagnosed me with was stomach flu (for four months), and wasn't until I demanded tests that they began to do something about it.

I've been having IBS symptoms for about a year and a half as I say but the pain during 'flare ups' can be unbearable.

Do they think your upper abdominal pain is related to IBS too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there
All of the symptoms you have is exactly what I have, I think the problem lies with the pain associated in the tummy, I didn't do anything for 6 weeks as I was frightened and then went to the doctors. Had ultra sound which was clear but showed excessive gas..my problem was that I couldn't come to terms with the fact that ibs is so debilitating and that it must be something else. However I did smoke and drink every day and because of a high pressured job I eat crap so this is my body saying [email protected]€k you it's about time you get me sorted. So what I am saying to you is do t worry too much but change your lifestyle. I am just changing now and I know it will be a slow process. Good luck and stick with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.