Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Maura and I'm a 21-year-old college student suffering from IBS-C. I have no idea what triggered my symptoms over a year ago... I literally woke up one morning after going regularly for my entire life and haven't had a normal BM since. I've gone through the whole rigamarole of tests: colonoscopy, CAT scan, Sitz marker study, numerous rounds of bloodwork, etc., all of which came back normal. I've tried MOM, Miralax, Zelnorm, enemas, fiber, drinking LOTS of water, exercising, diet changes, and stool softeners, but I've found that the only thing that works for me is to take 1 or more stimulant laxatives both in the morning and at night. Of course, these lead to cramps and diarrhea, but it's the only way I can go, and sometimes these don't even work. I know that it's not good to be taking these harsh chemicals so often, but I'm desperate! I hate feeling constantly bloated, crampy, and gassy, and as I'm sure you all can attest to, having this "disease" is a huge detriment to my social life. I plan my life around food (when and what I'm going to eat), I can't go out with friends whenever I'd like because either I can't eat at a restaurant or I need to be home when the laxatives start working, and it's definitely had an effect on my moods as well. I've lost about 30 lbs. because I can't eat normally and am dealing with the effects of being underweight as well (I'm 5'6" and 106 lbs.) I'm just frustrated and discouraged that my doctors don't have anything else to offer me, telling me that this is just something that I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life. I'm just looking for any suggestions that any of you may have on how to cope with IBS-C both physically and emotionally and if there are any other remedies that you could recommend. I'm open to anything - thank you so much!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have found a really great counselor and would recommend getting emotional therapy, because althought it seems like it IBS doesn't have to control every aspect of your life.I'm in repair and I feel better and better about myself after each session.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Maura,Iknow how you feel. I have been fine physically for 55 years until like you all of a sudden I have IBS c. Go to a GNC store, there are suppplements you can take, also get off the laxatives your going to hurt yourself. I take metamucil and down a glass of prune juice in the am. I also losy 18 pounds which I looked awful. The doctor suggected taking megace (google it) which makes you wannt to eat. Yes I still suffer withh stomach pain, etc but I put the weight back on. Try itLynne

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there, If I were you I would see a gastrologist and explain your symtoms to him, I would get an endoscopy done and colonoscopy. You could have gastroparesis, or acid reflex. What you went through sounds like the same story as mine. your friendjyoti

·
Registered
32 Posts
:)I just wonder what happens to our bowels that cause this. I only have the occasional constipation, but my bowels are on my mind 24/7. I think I think about it too much. While sitting at a stop light today, and after doing some research about IBS with C. I have found that these are the things I need to do on a daily basis......so, I wrote them down on the back of a bill. These are what I wrote. 1.) Drink lots and lots of water. 2.) Take Heathers Tummy Fiber 3x day (asacia). 3.) exercise (walk) daily 4.) Eat a low fat, high fiber diet. 5.) Try to relax on the comode...and wait awhile before I start trying to pop the blood vessels in my face. 6.) try to drink a glass of prune juice in the am. 7.) and something I really need to do more of is PRAY that God will give me wisdom and direction with this problem I am having. And to pray for others with the same problem. andreagay60###msn.com if you ever want to talk....email me. Andrea

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Maura0722Don't give up. I guess we all have to accept that we have IBS and look forward.I was in depression and nothing works. I made my life hell and worst of all, I made my wife's life hell. But she took it all and waited for me to finally realised that I have to do something.it was then when healing started. I approach the natural way and now 2 years later, I can finally say I am a lot better. I know what to do when I feel sick and don't go into depression anymore. Keep up the spirits and you will overcome them. I think it all starts with the Will and Mindset.Good luckterence

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.