Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am a 32 year old Mum in the UK. My daughter is 2 and when she was 6 months I collapsed with abdominal pain and was taken to hospital. My story I'm sure is not unusual so i won't go into much detail. My Dr thought I had gallstones and after many scans and investigative surgery I was finally referred to a gastroenterologist in October who diagnosed me with IBS. I take Spasmanol, regularly if I am going through a bad patch but most commonly in reaction to the early warning signs of bloating, tiredness and sharp pain through my back. I am most thankful that he advised glycerol suppositories which do wonders in getting things moving fairly painlessley. I am lucky in that the relief is immediate and I am largely able to conitnue a normal life. I joined this forum becuase I have some questions I am too embarrassed to see my GP about. I suffer from constipation and diarrohea but most commonly constipation. At least I think it is. I really don't want to be graphic but can't find any other way of describing this so I apologise in advance. When I haven't been able to pass for a couple of days I get a hard build up of stool which I can actually feel pressing when I touch my perenium. Sometimes I can actually push against it which helps to get it out. Today it was very bad and almost like giving birth. I may have torn inside as there was some bleeding and it stings a bit. I think I may have hemorroids/piles (?) blocking the passage but I don't know enough about my anatomy to know if this is the case. Does this sound familiar? I am trying to wean myself off my dependency on the suppostories becuase I use them everyday and the relief in passing gas and liquid which effecively releases the pressure is almost addictive. But if I don't use them I end up in this situation. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can you tell me if this is normal?

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Hi everyone. I am a 32 year old Mum in the UK. My daughter is 2 and when she was 6 months I collapsed with abdominal pain and was taken to hospital. My story I'm sure is not unusual so i won't go into much detail. My Dr thought I had gallstones and after many scans and investigative surgery I was finally referred to a gastroenterologist in October who diagnosed me with IBS. I take Spasmanol, regularly if I am going through a bad patch but most commonly in reaction to the early warning signs of bloating, tiredness and sharp pain through my back. I am most thankful that he advised glycerol suppositories which do wonders in getting things moving fairly painlessley. I am lucky in that the relief is immediate and I am largely able to conitnue a normal life. I joined this forum becuase I have some questions I am too embarrassed to see my GP about. I suffer from constipation and diarrohea but most commonly constipation. At least I think it is. I really don't want to be graphic but can't find any other way of describing this so I apologise in advance. When I haven't been able to pass for a couple of days I get a hard build up of stool which I can actually feel pressing when I touch my perenium. Sometimes I can actually push against it which helps to get it out. Today it was very bad and almost like giving birth. I may have torn inside as there was some bleeding and it stings a bit. I think I may have hemorroids/piles (?) blocking the passage but I don't know enough about my anatomy to know if this is the case. Does this sound familiar? I am trying to wean myself off my dependency on the suppostories becuase I use them everyday and the relief in passing gas and liquid which effecively releases the pressure is almost addictive. But if I don't use them I end up in this situation. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can you tell me if this is normal?
Firstly, you may have Obstructed Defecation Syndrome which can be caused by a rectocele and/or a rectal intussusception. You will find more info on this on the internet and an example is here http://www.bristolsurgery.com/SectionContents.aspx?sectionid=209 The only real way to check for this is a defecating proctogram.It may well be of course that you just have constipation but I would suggest that you rule the above out first.Good luck and let me know how it goes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.