Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I'm Andrea and I'm new to the group.I've been living with IBS since I was 8 years old and I am now 19 going on 20. I didn't realize how rare it was for someone my age to deal with this condition. My mother also has it as well. I'm just curious as to how you guys find relief from the constant cramping and diarehea. haha I don't think I spelled it right, but oh well! My cramps get so bad that most of the time I'm doing my business with a trash can in front of me because I vomit so much. I really don't enjoy suffering like this and I want to know what I can do to stop it. My doctor didn't think it was IBS and she told me to just take citrucel or some kind of fiber, but it doesn't work at all. It's not that I'm constipated, it's just that I can't keep everything in! haha. I'm kind of embarassed about this, but I figured it's best to get more knowledge about what the heck is going on with my body. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Andrea.You've said: "My doctor didn't think it was IBS and she told me to just take citrucel or some kind of fiber"Exactly what 'condition' has your Doctor diagnosed?The fibre approach sounds great but it might be helpful if it were the right kind of fibre, and consumed with appropriate foods. Have you talked to a nutritionist? or better still, talked to an enlightened physician who understands how to manipulate 'diets' to suit an individual's specific metabolic profile? There are so many things you can do with foods and medications to restore a more harmonious balance to your health.Cheers. Tony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My doctor diagnosed it as being related to anxiety. He never has proven that it was IBS. But after my mom took a visit to her doctor, she found out that her IBS was caused by pallops and systs on her colon. I REALLY don't want a colonoscopy because after my mother's experience, it makes me cringe to think that somehting like that could happen to me. She woke up during the procedure :)-P). Anyway, my doctor told me that I should see a psychiatrist for the disorder. I did and she said I had a food anxiety disorder. I'm not able to eat in restaurants or in certain kinds of lighting. That's weird, isn't it? It's like on our way to go out to eat, I'm really hungry, but right as soon as I step foot inside, my stomach shuts off and if I try to eat, I'll vomit it up. Certain foods cause my IBS and I've never been able to drink carbonated drinks, applejuice, chocolate (any kind of sweets really, fried foods, etc...If anyone else has these problems, please let me know. I really don't like this!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've had several gastroscopies but only the one colonoscopy, mostly done while I was only very lightly sedated; no big deal; I didn't find it particularly uncomfortable even without the pain killers. It's just one of those things that you have got to do to rule out the very remote possibility that there is actually some physical abnormality contributing to your disorder. I actually wished that they had found something so that something positive could be done to clear up my chronic ill-health.Your problems could actually be caused by some metabolic dysfunction which could be corrected with diet and meds, but it is always wise to rule out the more sinister possibilities first.If it does turn out to be anxiety (food related) then this is best addressed sooner rather than latter also before any further damage is done.I was not made aware of the relevance of my food intolerances until it was far too late, like about 20 years too late, and even though I have now found the perfect diet and the IBS has long gone, I am stuck forever with a very narrow range of food and behaviours.I can still go out and get smashed and have a good time but I also have to cart my own special foods around with me so that I can survive these good times without ending up in hospital.

·
Registered
487 Posts
A colonoscopy is really not that bad , and over here in England you are awake during the test , they dont put you to sleep or anything and its over within 10 mins

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
hey AndreaI don't think it's so rare for teens to be dealing with IBS - I know that's when it started for me. first, I think you need to nail down your diagnosis. if you're not happy with the doc, see another. Also, I know colonoscopies aren't fun but it's important if you need to rule problems out - particularly if there is a family hisory of problems. I have a couple of suggestions. You should check with your docs of course because you don't want to do anything counter to their work. Look into calcium carbonate. a lot of people with IBS D have found relief using calcium supplements since calcium carbonate constipates. Your doctor may even be glad you're using them even if he/she doesn't think you have IBS. Since you're female, you need to make sure to get enough calcium and I'm guessing you don't have the best diet (many IBSers don't since we have food problems). Also, try keeping a food diary and see if there are specific triggers for sure. And then, look into the hypnotherapy forum on this board for ways to deal with the food related anxiety. Talk to your psychiatrist about this. It could be that your food anxiety or situational anxiety (restaurants) is due to problems you've had in the past. I've used hypno to retrain my IBS related thoughts. I've been able to stop those panicky feelings I used to get at the feel of any pang.good luck. I'm sure you'll find a lot of support on this board. make sure to check out the forum for younger sufferers - you'll be sure to find some fellow teens there.nancy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts