Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Heather and i just found this group- what an amazing thing to find so many others that suffer from the same problems i do! I was just diagnosed with IBD after almost a year of tests- everything from bloodtests, ultrasounds, nasty samples, and both a colonoscopy and gastroendoscopy last week. I was actually almost relieved to hear the doctor say that my problem was gastritus and IBS- only because previously i had been told that my problem was Lupus, and the original reason for the 'scopies was my strong family history of Crohn's (both my mother and my father's mother have it). I am a little concerned that because this is a condition, not a disease, that this is not something i can treat with meds and have it go away. May i ask what your experiences are when it comes to controlling flare-ups with diet? I am doing my best to keep a food journal- but i am kind of hit or miss here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thank you and i hope to make some new friends here!Heather

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi Heather,Welcome to the club.
I assume you meant "IBS" up top there, not "IBD" (inflammatory bowel disease, which fortunately your docs seem to have ruled out?).A food diary that includes notes about symptoms is not a bad idea to do--for a month or two, maybe, long enough to see patterns if there are any. But I would urge you not to obsess about food and not to be too quick to eliminate anything. I think for MOST people with IBS, food can be a secondary cause of symptoms, but is never a primary cause. If you think something you ate bothered you, you can try avoiding it for a few days or a week or two, then go back to it. Chances are, it'll give you no trouble when reintroduced.Once you start to be afraid of food, you're in big trouble. The anxiety itself, not the food, will aggravate your IBS. And eventually you will start to suffer from nutritional deficiencies as you eliminate one food after another--many of them, typically, from nutrient-dense food groups like the legumes and the green, red and orange veggies. You really don't want to do that; your diet needs variety. Ironically, nutritional deficiencies due to restrictions may worsen your IBS because your diet isn't supporting your nervous and immune systems. It is hard enough, given modern lifestyles and modern patterns of food processing and distribution, to eat a nutritious diet even when it is unrestricted. When limited by special digestive concerns it's nearly impossible. If you make it an objective not to go there, I think you'll be better off. What I suggest should be your initial focus, instead, is other lifestyle factors, namely sleep, exercise, and recreation. Those bases *must* be consistently covered to control IBS. When I am running short on any of them, my GI tract almost always punishes me.Also, look over the tons of messages archived here for ideas about remedies and nutritional "boosters" you could try. Many people have had good results with calcium supplementation, for example. Mostly the "D" people, I believe.Welcome and good luck with your efforts to conquer this demon that hassles us all. By the way, did your doctor say what he thought was the cause of your gastritis? And is your dominant bowel pattern diarrhea or constipation or do you see-saw between them?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply!
yes- IBS not IBD- lol- i have been reading so many bowel related things over the past months my head is full of abbreviations, symptoms, etc. I have had a "nervous stomach" since i was a child- they had me on some sort of Donnitol when i was a child because i would become anxious and end up doubled over in pain. I learned throughout my early adult years that cold milk on my cereal in the morning would result in my spending the rest of the morning in a most uncomfortable manner! When i got upset- i had stomach and intestinal issues from pain and bloating to mucus and tissue filled D. Other times my "regular" bowel schedule was one movement every week or so. It became "normal" to me. But lately i have been experiencing complicated abdominal issues and really discussed all this with my new doctor (i was there to see her because my abdomen was so distended i looked pregant!). I know that they did a biopsy in my stomach, but they did not really give an explaination for the gastritus- the GI said i was irritated and gave me Protoxin to take for a few weeks. Unfortunatley, it seems to worsen my constipation phase and now i am on Miralax as well! She suggested Zelnorm if i cannot keep my see saw to a minimum after that. Fun, fun, fun!
Gotta roll with the punches, right?Well- i am off to lie down a lil- thank you so much for your post!Have a great nite!Heather

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.