Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HeyIve recently just joined this site, thought it would be good to read that im not the only person suffering from IBS. Ive skimmed throught some of the topics but theres to much to read!!I work in an office where the supervisors are not sympathetic atall. I suffer from severe IBS and am constantly phoning in sick because of my IBS. I hate phoning in because the tone of my manager makes me feel even worse, and then you can hear my collegues in the back ground bitching about me being off againIm starting to feel they think im pulling a sicky because i cant be bothered going to work and no matter how much i try and explain to them, i still think they think ive made some illness up and am using it as an excuse. Whats the best way in dealing with this?Ive lost count of how many times ive been to my doctor, begging him to help me, which of course he dosent listen. Ive been prescribed immodium and movicol (for constipation). These work to some extent but when your going through a bad phase they dont work atall. Ive even been to the hospital but stilll dont feel like im getting any answers. I know there isnt a cure but anyone have any good remedies etc that i could try?Last thing id like to ask for any advice is, i need to travel an hour and half to my work (1 bus and 2 train rides). I know this isnt idea if you suffer from IBS but theres not alot of jobs going these days. A few times ive been caught off guard when my bowels have decided to make a movement and there is not a toilet in sight!! Ive asked in the stations to use to staff toilet, explained my condition and unbelievably they say no and turn me away which means a very painful and fearful journey home. Has this happened to anyone before? What do you do in those situations?? Any advice would be grateful

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been through it too. I live in Missouri, used to work in construction. Been on the job and had accidents due to portable toilets being busy/ too far away. I had to drive home shower change clothes and go right back to work. It really was humiliating. Just imagine the names I've been called, I've heard them all, right to my face. I'm 6' 4" 250 lbs. they're lucky I didn't break some jaws. I'm just a gentle giant though, so no violence for me. My wife says I'm just her big teddy bear. I really feel for you, I do. Just do all you can do, if that's not good enough for them too bad. It's their loss not having an employee like you around. You try 3x harder than anyone else. Chin up and hold your head high, they have to respect that you are not a quitter! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been through it too. I live in Missouri, used to work in construction. Been on the job and had accidents due to portable toilets being busy/ too far away. I had to drive home shower change clothes and go right back to work. It really was humiliating. Just imagine the names I've been called, I've heard them all, right to my face. I'm 6' 4" 250 lbs. they're lucky I didn't break some jaws. I'm just a gentle giant though, so no violence for me. My wife says I'm just her big teddy bear. I really feel for you, I do. Just do all you can do, if that's not good enough for them too bad. It's their loss not having an employee like you around. You try 3x harder than anyone else. Chin up and hold your head high, they have to respect that you are not a quitter! Hope this helps.
I feel your pain. I suffered for the past 15 years with this pain. Life has been rough as it is because I suffered personal losses. God put me in a great job where people, even though they laugh behind me back, are nice enough to respect me...at least pretend they do. Haven't tried to the FODMAP Diet ( don't even know what it stands for) but will give it a go. Keep up the good work and just keep pushing on.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Could you buy a radar key or use the disabled toilet... ?? I think its terrible that they wouldn't let you user their toilet wouldn't of hurt them really would it. :-(
I feel your pain. I suffered for the past 15 years with this pain. Life has been rough as it is because I suffered personal losses. God put me in a great job where people, even though they laugh behind me back, are nice enough to respect me...at least pretend they do. Haven't tried to the FODMAP Diet ( don't even know what it stands for) but will give it a go. Keep up the good work and just keep pushing on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts