Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 36 yr old full-time working Mom, married for 15 yrs, two girls, 6 and 10. I have been suffering (to put it mildly) with IBS for about 6 yrs. I have been through EVERTHING you all have it seems - insensitive GI Drs, nasty tests, normal results, medications, etc. As I'm sure it does to many of you, IBS dramatically effects the way I live my life. I had a few years of great control (taking anti-anxiety and anti-depressant drugs) and made the stupid mistake of trying to go off of them. Well, now I can't get it back under control, even though I have begun taking some of the meds again. The emotional and stress factors of having uncontrollable IBS cannot be understated. It takes so much energy for me to try to live my life as if everything is OK. Well, anyway, I'm glad I found all of you kindred spirits. I empathize completely with what you all are going through and know that I will find support here, too. Can I post just to vent once in a while?Also, can someone fill me in on Caltrate? I've read about it in some of your posts. What does it specifically help with, etc.Thanks,Lynne

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
hi lynnebwelcome to our club,now it dont take much to confuse me!! but now i have to watch my postsas you can see we have a lindab here on this board, i already screw up kathy/shari ha ha ha , lets see how bad i can mix you two up!! welcome charlie

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Welcome Lynne!I think posting just to vent is a great and welcomed thing. Not only does it feel good, but there is always someone who can sympathize.I'm not a Caltrate expert by any means, but here's what I know: calcium helps with diarrhea (something about a binding affect) and helps to alleviate the stomach cramping that comes with it.I know there are others who could explain it better, but that's my two cents worth.Ty :*)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to this wonderful family. You learn so much even without posting but just by reading. I am 37, female with two children also. You sound so much like me. I to have suffered with this for years(more than I care to remember). I also have problems with anxiety/depression and found when on meds for this is helps considerably with the IBS. I do not want to be on meds forever but for now I take what works.I am finding this site is helping very much with so much advise and caring/sympathy that it does make me feel better about myself.I also just picked up(today) a book by Claire Weekes that was recommended here. So far it is very interesting. Best of luck to you and remember were all here for a shoulder when venting is a necessity.:0)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi lynneb and welcome.this is the best place for us and not only is it okay to vent but it is a requirement!!lol.Venting relieves much especially when you can vent to people who have been where you and are the most wonderfull kind,informative and sharing people with great senses of humor I have ever met. stay with us Love Pattee.Ps Caltrate has helped me with my Diareah.Linda Nape or Lnape as she posts introduced it and has the most knowledge.She will e-mail you too with info Pattee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, LynneB, welcome to the bb! I'm the Kathy that Charlie thinks is Shari (poor guy - he does get so confused - but we love him anyway!). I think you are doing the right thing by going back on the meds that worked. Just give them time - you may be so anxious about your symptoms that you are not giving them a chance. The calcium has worked very well for me - you might want to give them a try. I take TumsEX - they're as good as any of them - others take Caltrate. Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you again!

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
LynneBWelcome to the board. I started taking caltrate plus 600 calcium supplement with minerals and found it relieved the ibs diarrhea and the sick feeling I always got while eating. The urgent diarrhea is gone and I have been doing great for about a year on the stuff. I started taking 1 tablet with each meal and from the first day I knew I was doing better. It is the Caltrate in a purple and white box that is the most effective. Try it you will be surprised if you are suffering from the diarrhea type ibs. Email me if I can answer any of you questions. LNAPE###AOL.COMLinda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey! I love this place. After much recommendation from everyone here I started the Caltrate Plus in the purple and white box. In just a few days I am able to travel and shop all day long. This hasn't happened for me in 10 years except when I took my anti-depressant: Tranzene. I wondered how something so simple could help so much, but it does and boy am I a happy "camper". That's what my husband used to call it when I sat on the toilet most of the day, "camping". Well, by the name alone I'm sure you can tell one type of IBS I have. The "D" (diarrhea) type. After reading some of these posting it seems that's what most of us have. Some of the postings are so funny and really helped me feel more comfortable about my problem. I suggest you go back for 30 days of postings and just read them and their replies. Some are so funny you'll almost fall off your chair. I found one from Boots that really cracked me up. Anyway, good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too would like to welcome you to the kids around the toilet gang. I have IBS c and take fibercon (4 of them a day). I also take Elivil and just started taking trazadone too. I have to say that this bb is the best medicine for anyone with IBS. I am also the self appointed stats taker. I have over 100 names on my list( check some of the intro posts) and the majority of us take calcium of some form for IBS d. I am going to post a new set of totals monday night and you might be able to get a better idea what everyone takes to help the symptoms. Who ever invented the saying "laughter is the best medicine" must have read this bb. Please stay in touch and let us know more about you so we cam help. Have a good nite and check out the chat room at the top of the page

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Welcome, I found this board just after Christmas but didn't start posting right away. I have had IBS for 10 years and never knew there were meds for it until I found this board. I am also a mother of two. I do not come here often because I am being tested for Crohn's and I am constantly researching it. I am one of those who researches alternative meds so if you hear about any then post and I will try to find some info on it for you. Hope to see you around.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome lynneb. I too am 36 and cope (somewhat poorly at times) with ibs d. I have read from Maryt, and gang for a couple of months now about the caltrate I am going out to get some and try. I had a horribly dissapointing appt with my GI last week, I crapped on everyone in my life imaginable feeling frustrated and confused. Welcome aboard to the only place for peace of mind, compassionate advice, and a glimmer of hope.Maryt - thank you for your time and 'stats' I look forward to your news Monday pm. Bless us all JC

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Poopsie,I was very glad to hear the caltrate is helping you. Keep spreading the word. I wonder how many of us there are on the caltrate.Linda

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.