Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ! I'm 18 years old and my first memory of IBS was when i was 16 , i didn't have a clue what was happening it was horrible:(! i was diagnosed at 16 and have hardly had an help or advice from my doctor at all. It's runing my life ! Ive just started college and can hardly go ( I'm ment to be there today) my symptoms are worse in the morning and i can't leave the house untill i have done the toilet as i feel so uncomfortable and my stomach ends up sore all day which is not good ! i am no on any medication at the moment and have tried a weat free diet which was useless
any one know of any good meds or any tips to stop this hapning every morning:( thankyou .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,Firstly I'd say try to get your diet under control so that you are avoiding the foods that make your symptoms worse...there are some good books that I have read on this and am currently trying out myself (but some offer rubbish advice so beware). Secondly I would definitely go to the doctor and speak to them about trying out some medication..perhaps an anti-spasmodic (im currently on mebeverine and have also used colpermin which is a peppermint oil tablet...both of which are good)also if it is diarrhoae that u have, perhaps taking Imodium may help. Thirdly I would inform the college and see how they can best suppport you as you will need their support and make sure you have some one to talk to if u need some support.Hope this helps and you start to feel better soon :)x

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone ! I'm 18 years old and my first memory of IBS was when i was 16 , i didn't have a clue what was happening it was horrible:(! i was diagnosed at 16 and have hardly had an help or advice from my doctor at all. It's runing my life ! Ive just started college and can hardly go ( I'm ment to be there today) my symptoms are worse in the morning and i can't leave the house untill i have done the toilet as i feel so uncomfortable and my stomach ends up sore all day which is not good ! i am no on any medication at the moment and have tried a weat free diet which was useless
any one know of any good meds or any tips to stop this hapning every morning:( thankyou .Fiber would go a long way in stopping the pain, cramping, and diarrhea.....You might try Metamucil Capsules, as they do not require stirring gritty power into water and then having to drink it quickly....Metamucil and store brand psylliums don't taste bad, but the Metamucil Capsules, or even Wal-Mart's store brand, which is just like Metamucil Capsules, really do work.....just follow the instructions and I think it might help a lot in a few days...From experience, I don't like the anti-spasmodics that doctors prescribe, as they work while you're taking them, but they dry you out really badly....That's just my experience....not evaluating how they might help other people!Try to eliminate spicy foods, chocolate, anything that promotes a gassy effect, and see if you don't feel better and stop having to live in the bathroom! I emphathize with you greatly and my living in the bathroom is just plain miserable....Hope my suggestions were helpful....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again thanks for youre advice
i have actually tried colpermint which i thought did not make the slightest difference. Ive noticed aswell that my nerves make my IBS worse and am going to see if the doc can prescribe me anything for this
. My mum suggested i use laxarives to clear myself out and start from scratch to see what foods affect me, has anyone done this before ?thanks again x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,I get really bad anxiety which makes my symptoms worse so i no how u feel...its like a vicious circle. Ive been prescribed Diazepam by the doctor and am currently recieving counselling with the use of cognitive behavioural therapy techniques. The combination of both these are starting to help and like I say alongside a diet and medication my symptoms are really starting to improve. You could also try hypnotherapy aswell which will help you to relax and may help improve the symptoms
x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi :)I've never heard of that before , I'll suggest this to my doc. Am not taking any medication at all , i went for my 6 months check up and was baiscally told just to deal with it i have not been offered anything that you have mentioned:( It was just a whear free diet that i was advised to try but was not told what i could and could not eat which was difficult to find out. Im making an appiontment soon and i am going to be mentioning these things and see what he has to say , I HATE DOCTORS !!
x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,Doctors are rubbish at dealing with IBS as they dont actually know much about it but they should deffo be able to prescribe you something for the anxiety and perhaps something to help with your IBS symptoms. However they cannot really help you with the diet part...id look on the internet and read as much as you can andtry out a few things yourself. perhaps find out what has worked for others. Think ive alredy mentioned this but 'Eating for IBS' by Heather Von vorous is a good book that I am using at the mo.Let me know how u get on
x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again :)thanks lol. I never knew they done books about IBS untill i came to this site(glad i did). Im going to try everything thats on offer to help me as its stopping me from attending college and doing NORMAL stuff which is rubbish. See the book 'Eating for IBS' does some food not make you put on weight though ?xx

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you watch your portion size and calorie total you can gain or lose weight with any diet.Carbs get the "they make you fat" reputation, but a few years ago it was "fat makes you fat".No calorie is more fattening than any other calorie and some of the big weight loss programs have a lot of carbs (the Rice Diet among others) rather than a lot of protein and fat.The "weight loss" industry tends to go back and forth between low carb and low fat. Basically once everyone fails at one then they other will become popular until everyone fails at that and then the pendulum swings the other way. Portion control and calorie counting are the sure ways to lose weight but are not as "sexy" as telling people you can eat whatever you want as much as you want as long as you don't eat _______________.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
I was on every diet under the sun for IBS until I was down to crackers and water. Different diets work for different people - sadly it is trial and error as one size does not fit all when it comes to diet - if there were, everyone would be on it and there would be no more IBS! LOL ;)Take a peek at my journey below for some info - I have had many doctors, GIs, meds and tests - and no help with my IBS for many years. Mornings were the worst like you - some days I was hours in the bathroom and could not even leave the house! As a last resort, I tried the IBS Audio Program of hypnotherapy and it helped me out - helped out quite a few folks here on this BB over the years - not for everyone, but has been helpful to most - check out my links below for more info, or feel free to ask... I no longer have any real IBS food restrictions or diets... so there is hope out there!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
It is! - In fact, it comes from the UK- the developer is Michael Mahoney of Cheshire England. You can read more about it here http://www.ibscds.com and feel free to ask me any questions - always happy to help!
Take care.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, newbie here. Found out on Tuesday, I have IBS. I think I have had it for years, but not to the degree I have now. My problem got intense about 2 months ago. I usually get constipated, but then I start having diarrhea daily for over a month. My dr did all the normal tests, the only one the came back not normal was my stool test, showed blood. So my dr told me I needed a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy. All were normal. Then they said I have IBS. So how do you all deal with it? I can't stop running to the bathroom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
POSSIBLE HELP FOR IBS SUFFERERSI am a newbie here, too. I have had IBS for quite a few years, diarrhea dominant, and then it turned into Constipation/Diarrhea alternating. I got to the point where I would eat 3 bites of something and would be running for the bathroom. My episodes lasted anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes. I would also get the worst hot-knife-in-the-gut abdominal pain. It got to the point where I was eating lettuce in tortilla shells at work to avoid an attack. Still didn't help. I was abusing Imodium AD to try and avert attacks. I was on the verge of ordering this $20 Acacia Tummy Fiber junk (still not sure it would help) when I came across a post by someone who used Benefiber. Benefiber was something I'd seen in stores, it was under $10, and it seemed like it was worth a shot. The first couple days were uncomfortable. My sphincter kept feeling like it was alive, pulsing. But I didn't have diarrhea once. The only attacks I have now are when I get so busy that I forget to take it. IMPORTANT: I only take the non-flavored white powder. Plain Benefiber (though usually I can use generic substitutes at Fred Meyer and Wal-Mart), not heart-healthy or anything like that. I mix 2 teaspoonfuls into 6 oz of juice 3 times per day. I also take a Vitamin C supplement for the laxative effect, making restroom breaks easier. It works, people, at least for me. I get no benefit whatsoever from you buying Fiber Powder. I'm just hoping that whatever helps me helps you, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.