Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I am new to this site and am so happy to find a site for IBS. I have been suffering with IBS-C for 8 years and it has become increasingly worse. I am now 25 and have no social life, am in constant pain, I have lost all of my weight (110 pounds, 5'9") and am miserable. I eat the same thing everyday, and lately I have been barely eating during the day because I can't focus on my clients (I am a counselor/therapist for teens and their families)when I have terrible reactions. I can only have BMs in the morning - it's psychological, I know - and I feel like I am becoming somewhat OCD with this illness.I have been taking Zelnorm on and off for three years now. It is more effective when I use it on an as needed basis. I have not been taking it one hour before eating. I've actually been taking it right before I eat dinner and this, when effective, helps me to have a larger BM in the morning.I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on anything that's been effective. I currently do hypnotherapy, a castor oil pack, and I take fish oil supplements and acidopholus daily.I have just ordered the Acacia fiber, as I heard that might be useful.It's nice to have some support and comforting to know that I'm not alone in this. I am at the point now where I don't enjoy myself out because I am secretly angry that others get to live their lives without chronic pain, worry and fear.Thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting to know you all better in the future.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Chantal,You seem to have a pretty good approach to your IBS problem but I am wondering about the OCD that you mention. Is that being addressed as well or were you just being descriptive of how you feel? OCD waxes and wanes and is a definite stressor which can contribute to IBS. Lots of luck,John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi chantal!My doctor diagnosed me as having an OCD which had developed because of the IBS. I would continuously go to the toilets in the mornings worried that when I left the house Id have an accident because of urgent D. The doctor has prescribed me prozac (which sounds quite scary) but it is known to help with the compulsiveness. I also see a councellor and undergoing CBT therapy to try and get me out of my habits. So far things are starting to get better. Take care.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I have not been diagnosed, but I feel like the IBS has caused me to develop some OCD tendencies. It's mostly fear really. But, it's awful. I have always had a fear that I would leave the stove or iron on and find myself checking several times before I leave. Perhaps it's just my anxiety and fear of fire kicking in. I have IBS-related behaviours as well.I tried colon irrigation for the first time today, and will continue to do that...something new. I am also doing hypnotherapy, so we'll see the combination and how it helps.Thanks so much. It's so nice to have support. I feel really alone in this. None of my friends have Irritable Bowel and are all living their lives to the fullest... It's really frustrating for me, and I'm finding that I am now just getting really angry. I have also lost a lot of weight over the years, and I had an eating disorder 8 years ago, so many people always assumes that I am still "sick". I never want to go out anymore - due to a combination of me feeling ill and not wanting to deal with the outside world.thanks again for reading.It's really nice to be able to let it all out like this to people who i know understand and can relate.chantal

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I have not been diagnosed, but I feel like the IBS has caused me to develop some OCD tendencies. It's mostly fear really. But, it's awful. I have always had a fear that I would leave the stove or iron on and find myself checking several times before I leave. Perhaps it's just my an

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Chantal,As a person with OCD, I can tell you that you're certainly not alone. SSRI's such as Prozac are usually the drug of choice(as Gillie points out). I'm not one to push drugs but obviously, they do have a place for some persons. Sometimes, you can go on an anti-depressant just for a short term; although most people I know seem to stay with them. CBT or facing your fears is also a good approach. Connecting with people on the forum is a great help for many. Make a plan and try to make a little progress each day. Before you know, you will have made great strides. I'm afraid of going to the doctor but I push myself to do it and once I go, I feel better. I pray that you have the wisdom to make good choices and that you start living life to the fullest.Good luck,John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.