Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, immodium works for me, and fiber works for a week then back to D. When I take immodium it seems that I don't go, but it is hard to go when I do. But at least it's solid.
So I started 1/2 an immodium and fiber and night right before bed. So far it's working pretty good. It's been about 2 weeks. probably the longest a regim has done me any good.Even had cheese and onions on my burger the other night.. no issues!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far so good. Things seem to be great. I felt like I hadn't gone "enough" and thought about skipping the immodium last night. But decided not to mess with it and stayed on the normal regime.This morning had a nice complete feeling BM.I guess when you're slowing things down it seems like "less" because there's a lot less water in your stool. but nice form, color, etc so far! I hope it work.. and time to reload on my physillium seed fiber stuff.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey everyone! I am curious about the whole fiber thing, but am also comfused. Dont people who are more constipated take fiber to make them have to go? Im afraid that taking it would make me have to go to the bathroom even more, which is the last thing I need...how does it work for people with D?

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Fiber isn't a laxative like senna that makes the GI tract move things along more.It normalizes stool consistancy. While marketed for constipation, it can work for some people with chronic diarrhea for the same reason.It absorbs water, and doesn't let it go easily. For constipation this works because it keeps the water from being extracted from the stool as it goes along. For looser stools it can absorb some of the excess water so they are not as loose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes ive found the topic of fibre abit confusing. I used to take Fybogel which was a fibre drink and was told it was for D and C. Seemed to work for my D. But ive heard conflicting views about following a high fibre diet. For D, is it good to get fibre?or is it the other way round?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still working!
I almost wish I could go more than I do now.. lol.Last night I may have experienced what felt like C for the first time in my life. But I'm sure it was gas. It wouldn't go away, even after a nice BM. So I'm sure it was gas. (I usually lay on my belly when I have that pain and it all comes out, but I was playing poker...lol)Baby steps it seems. The better I feel, the more I can go out and not worry. The more I don't worry, the better I feel.... and the cycle continues.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
quote:Originally posted by legbuh:The better I feel, the more I can go out and not worry. The more I don't worry, the better I feel.... and the cycle continues.
Nice to see a reversal of the "usual" cycle. Keep focusing on the improvements, rather than any setbacks, and let your body take care of the rest.Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks for the link,that is very helpful. I've noticed since ive started eating Cheerios cereal, its helped me with IBS-D. Do you happen know if Cheerios is soluble fibre? Perhaps this is why i have seen improvement.

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
They are oat-based so what fiber they have is soluble from the oat bran.There are whole grain oats so they have some fiber, 4 grams for a 111 calorie portion http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20OY.htmlgrams of fiber is something every package has to list so it is easy to find out and compare.Wheat bran can have a lot of insoluble fiber so some people do better with an oat bran based. Some of the all bran cereals have psyllium added which ups the soluble fiber content.K.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have IBS-D and fiber is a no-no for me. My doctor made me stay on it for a month to be sure, but I used Benefiber which he recommended , and it made matters worse. Thats what so frustrating....what helps one person doesn't work for another.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
bushja,Pleeeease don't give up on fiber.Benefiber doesn't agree w/ me either. It doesn't for many, many peeps because its guar gum--this has a LAXATIVE effect for many.I would never have lasted a month on it. Try all the others...its really really worth it to find the one that's right for you. And be sure to take enough & be patient. It's an easy way to change your life for the better, if you can just try all the diff brands/types of fiber.Talissa

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another update. Still going strong with zero problems!I find I take 1-2 nice BMs every morning. Maybe one later in the evening. But they are formed, and feel complete.I may have finally found my secret cure.. lol whether or not I drink beer at night makes no difference either..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been using the Immodium/fiber formula for over a year now with good results..when I remember to take the fiber
. Once my body is use to the fiber I find I need the immodium less and mainly for bad day or nerv control.Remember their are different type of fiber, I use Citrucel which is 100% soluble here is a page on IBS from their site http://citrucel.com/irritable_bowel_syndrome.aspxI also use ground flaxseed which is a great healthy form of fiber, you can add it to oatmeal,cereal, or mix it into yogurt which is also great for your digestive track.Using the right fiber should help you control your symptoms more and lengthen times between episodes.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have you tried Metamucil capsules with Calcium. I take 2-3 right now at night before bed and it seems to be helping. Interesting you should say that about Benefiber. I tried this again and the D got worse. Surprised me. Congrats on your working combo. I worry about taking too much Immodium. Afraid my body would get too used to it and it wouldn't work when I really need it.I have to watch the calcium due to kidney stones but this Metamucil doesn't have too much that bothers me.Good luck!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Same here, 1 imodium in the morning, 2 fibercon pills in the afternoon, Mike's tapes at bedtime, Normal BM every morning for a few months now. I've been dealing with a little pain after dinner but no that's nothing I can't manage. Good for you Legbuh. Hope it continues for ya.

·
Registered
4 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Talissa:bushja,Pleeeease don't give up on fiber.Benefiber doesn't agree w/ me either. It doesn't for many, many peeps because its guar gum--this has a LAXATIVE effect for many.I would never have lasted a month on it. Try all the others...its really really worth it to find the one that's right for you. And be sure to take enough & be patient. It's an easy way to change your life for the better, if you can just try all the diff brands/types of fiber.Talissa

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.