Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been diagnosed with IBS in the UK. Found this site but notice you seem to all be very clued up Americans! Either I am dumb, British doctors are dumb (for not explaining more!) or I am so new to IBS that I have yet to learn all the terminology!!Basically I mainly suffer from bloating (so I have been advised). I was quite convinced I had an alien in my stomach, so large, hard and lumpy had it become. I am already an overweight person, so to find my stomach swelling up to the size of a medicine ball, making me now look 5 months pregnant, instead of just fat, is not fun!Also suffer slightly from D, but careful diet and drinking lots of water solves this most of the time.Anyone else suffer with hugely bloated stomach AND had any significant success in getting it back down to normal size?Thanks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sharan, there's quite a few of us from UK - we even have one or two UK threads which a search should find for u."Just been diagnosed with IBS in the UK. Found this site but notice you seem to all be very clued up Americans! "KKat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sharan ... just wanted to say Hi and Welcome from another Brit!
As KKat says, there are quite a few of us here.
Believe me, do plenty of reading here on the BB, do some searches (top right, under "Post Reply") through the archives on topics of particular interest to you, and you'll soon be as "clued up" as anyone else here.
I've heard a few people (in particular kmottus) say that taking digestive enzymes before a meal can help to reduce bloating - perhaps that would be a good place to begin looking?Best wishesJulie
[This message has been edited by judamar (edited 02-09-2001).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi and welcome! I'm fairly new myself and I'm a Swede currently living in Hong Kong!I too suffer from bloating and some gas, with no accompanying C or D. I'm currently experimenting with my diet, mainly TRYING (it's so hard!) to exclude carbs and sugar. It seems to be relieving my symptoms a bit. I haven't been on it long enough to have any noticable improvements. To date I have tried anti-depressants (didn't work and I'm a firm believer that it's NOT in our heads like the doctors keep telling us), peppermint capsules, aloe vera, olive oil, flagyl, grapefruit seed extract etc. Still nothing stops me from looking like I'm at least 4 months pregnant! Good luck with your "IBS" and keep us posted if you find something good that works for bloating.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I'm also a recent (UK) member to the BB. As you'll probably find out, it's a great source of info, advice and comfort.I'm affected by the B monster too. Unfortunately, G down below after nearly every meal - well every meal actually, sooner or later! I haven't found the answer yet - but I'm sure it's out there. One thing that T feel has helped is strengthening my tummy muscles. I'm generally fit so can cope with sit ups and other exercises but there are other more 'gentle' ways of firming the abdominal area. Although this doesn't alleviate any of my symptoms, it does seem to stop me ballooning out. Also, exercising like this sometimes helps to 'nudge' the wind in the right direction (which is OK if you're exercising alone)! Spend time looking on this site - you'll get lots of help (not to mention more than a few chuckles).Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Sharan,Another UKer. Main problem I have is urgent D, but also have bloating. I am not over weight, but I have been asked if I was pregnant before now
. Haven't found anything to solve either problem, but I am still looking!Welcome to the board.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 4 all yr msgs. Am beginning to learn ... (new to internet as well so forgive me if slow).Will try digestive enzymes - will I be able to get these over the counter in UK chemist or need a prescription? (So far all my GP has recommended is peppermint Gaviscon which i don't like the taste of + can't feel the benefit of!!!)Due to being overweight anyway, I have been trying to do more exercise and stick to a low fat diet for a while anyway. But have found that if I dare lapse any high fat food makes my stomach much worse for a day.Am beginning to learn that there are so many variants of this IBS thing and it's such a horrible, darned annoying thing to have. "Why me?" I have wondered, as I'm sure the rest of you have. Also wonder whether ... if i ever had enough money for liposuction, they could "liposuct" all the bloating + unwanted rubbish out of my stomach away? There must be SOME way of getting rid of it forever, there simply MUST !!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi there and welcome from another 'quite new' UK'er. I have had bloating in the past but now seem to be more prone to D. I have also found that high fat foods set me off.Has anyone out there found alternatives to Caltrate and Probiotica in the UK ? (Caltrate for the D and Probiotica for Gas).Nic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.