Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s now 6:30am. I haven't been able to sleep because of the pain. I managed to go out with a few friends this evening, but no alcohol for me. The times I've had this pain in the lower-left region of my abdomen it's been due to alcohol in some way or another (in the past it hasn't mattered how little or how much but it's the only link I can find). It feels like my stomach is about to rumble, but just doesn't and is causing a fair amount of pain and discomfort. I've tried many times to go to the toilet today, but little if nothing is escaping. As I mentioned, I've had this a few times in the past and the pain usually lasts for about 3-4 days (today will be the 3rd on this occasion). The only way I can cope with it is with very long showers with the stream aimed at my stomach, or very hot baths; lying in bed doesn't alleviate the pain, and makes me concentrate all the more on how uncomfortable I am. I remember last year when I had an attack I was living in university halls of residence. We had a very large, powerful shower and it was my haven for 2 days - I ate when I could manage to without gagging, slept and read in there and right now I wish I still lived there instead of in my own house. I would very much like to have a shower right now, but my housemates will not be happy if I wake them up. At least on the bright side, I'm not vomiting this time and I can just about function so long as I don't have to move with any great speed. I'm sure you've all heard this before, but I just need to vent because the pain is so very frustrating and all I wish for right now is for it to go away so I can sleep.R.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yep, I know that pain. It's revolting and one of the worst. Like you, when I get it, it lasts for days
How about a hot water bottle. I find if I put one on the front part where it hurts and one on my back that helps a little and I lie on my side and hold them there with cushions or pillows.Also have you ever tried an antispasmodic? There are a couple you can get over the counter. Buscopan is the one I use but there's also Donnatel and Donnatel extend. I combine 2 buscopan with 2 paracetamol (just paracetamol, nothing stronger or it gives me more pain) and the hot water bottles in between my hot showers. Boy do I know how you feel about them helping!Hang in there, just keep reminding yourself that it will go away. I don't know what it is, I always thought it was trapped gas. Hope you feel better soon and can get some sleep.Welcome to the boards by the way. I'm glad you found us.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hi rezyn
I'm a newbie here to, and totally know what you mean about the pain, i'm just getting over my 4 days of hell.I also like screamer use water bottle's they help sooo much. I take mebeverine which is a antispasmodic, nurofen and paracetamol for the pain. (i leave a hour gap before i take the other painkiller)I also have a long soak in the bath that sometimes helps.Hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi i get bad pain to it can really hurt i find when i tell most people about the pain they think im over reacting about how painful it is but it really hurts so i can tottally relste i do what most people do with the hot water bottle that helps ease it a bit and baths do help aswell

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
rezyn have you tried talking to your doctor about maybe trying a sleeping tablet short term, if only to allow you to get a sleep?I had major probs trying to get to sleep, it didnt help matters that i suffer from insomnia, i have been onn a few sleeping tabs, they were all rubbish (for me) i am on amatriptaline and i normally get a really good sleep with them..I was always totally against sleeping tabs but i got to the stage i was literally climbing the walls at night,anyway its something for you to think about..As for the pain i take dihydrocodeine, which is a very strong painkiller, also i take buscopan which to me is a godsend... good luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
rezyn!WELCOME ABOARD.CHAMOMILE WITH ANNIS TEA HELPS EASE MY STOMACH WHEN IT'S CRAMPY.AS FOR SLEEPING AID, HAVE YOU TRIED "SLEEPY TIME TEA" BY CELESTIAL? IT DOESN'T PUT YOU TO SLEEP PERSE - JUST HELP YOU TO RELAX AND THERE IS NO GROGGY FEELING AS AN AFTER EFFECT. OF COURSE I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE, BUT IF IT'S IN THE US YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND IT IN ANY SUPER MARKET.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.